1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running final season--seasons?--of Scrubs thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hockeybeat, Oct 25, 2007.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Re: Running final season of Scrubs thread.

I haven't been this hooked on a show since Seinfeld. I literally watch every episode I can, whether I've seen it once or 30 times. It's just written so well. Even the predictable jokes are outstanding enough to make me laugh. I'll miss it a lot.

I've got the first three seasons on DVD, and as soon as I finish the first (I watched the second and third, while the first was hanging out at my parents' house for six weeks), I'll be grabbing the fourth, fifth and sixth. The behind-the-scenes footage is worth the $30, in my opinion.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Could not agree more on buying the DVDs b/c the shows are worth repeated viewings...except you KNOW that within two years, they're gonna come out with the super duper very special limited edition get it now we've only made a few thousand SCRUBS BOX SET!!! So what do you do with your seven seasons then? Make them very expensive coasters?

then of course the super duper very special limted edition get it now we've onlyl made a few thousand SCRUBS BOX SET!!! will be replaced two years later by something even more super duper very special limited edition.

So I'm going to try and resist the urge to buy the sets. It will not be easy. I'd love to see the extras too.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't care about the boxed sets too much. I was sick of leaving before 11 a.m. or getting home after 7 p.m. and missing a little of the Comedy Central showing, and I had a lot of catching up to do -- I didn't start watching until May -- to get ready for this season. So getting the DVDs now, before they bring out a giant hospital with 21 discs inside like they've got for Everybody Loves Raymond -- only a house, not a hospital -- doesn't bother me too much.

What will piss me off, however, is when they release the never-before-seen episode or commentaries only given to those who buy the 3-D Sacred Heart for $200. At that point, Bill Lawrence can fist himself.

Until then, bring on the next episode.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

And the extras are real cool. They're one-on-ones with several of the characters -- Ted, Todd, J.D., Cox on the first three seasons, and there might be more -- then commentaries on some episodes, which I think are really cool; you get an inside look at how things were done and what inside information you might otherwise not have known. Then, of course, there are deleted scenes and the making of Scrubs.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The worst thing about the writer's strike?

The final six episodes of Scrubs may never get shot.

http://www.dose.ca/tv/story.html?id=51df8106-4148-4d12-bea3-6dc046e03068&k=36009

http://www.reuters.com/article/televisionNews/idUSN0521231620071105

6. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

J.D. is becoming the male version of Lorelai Gilmore.
    At the heart of it, he's a jerk.
    He crapped on Elliot, knocked up another hottie and now is dumping her. Makes you hope that he is horribly disfigured in an industrial accident.
    Really, this is the price TV series pay for being so slavish to "sexual tension." You get the main characters together, and apparently you lose your series. Cheers dodged the bullet because Shelley Long wanted out, but nearly every series that is built around a burgeoning and acknowledged romance is quickly cancelled. It's moronic, but true.
    So to avoid that fate, writers turn their main characters into absolutely wretched people that we're supposed to continue loving because they're glib.
    The heck with that.

7. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Oh, and I loved this quote from creator Bill Lawrence:

The last thing anybody wants to hear right now is some idiot saying, 'Hey, I worked really hard on my show, I want to end it the way I want to end it!' It's hard to care right now about any legacy."

Darned right. If the producers win, how will the TV writers be able to afford their fourth Jag? There are serious issues at stake, man!

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

motherFUCKER!!!!! That pisses me off.

And Twoback, I hope I'm reading your comment wrong and that you're not on the side of the studios in this strike.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'll be extremely pissed if this show has no real ending. One of my favorite parts of any sitcom is the final episode, and this one could be incredible.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'm going to be really, really pissed if the ending doesn't happen, and if the Princess Bride tribute episode gets left on the chopping block.

Obviously I'm on the side of the writers here. But when you're wrapping up a series, it seems like if you're a studio, why would you want to just kill something off? Why not shoot the scripts you've got, wait until the strike is settled and show reruns or reality shows, then when the writers come back, just push the season into rerun season? Wouldn't that make more sense? Or would the ad rates not be enough to justify the show?

11. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

It's not that. I don't think it's really clear whose side to be on. I just think it's laughable when millionaires try to make themselves look like they're picking grapes.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sorry, but it's pretty easy for me to choose sides in this one, Yeah, maybe the writers are all making six-figures. They're writing shows that are making eight-, nine- or 10-figure sums for the studios. They're entitled to a bigger piece of the pie.

Draft saved Draft deleted