1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running FIBA World Championships thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TrooperBari, Aug 28, 2010.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I know football season is almost upon us and the US isn't at full strength, but is anyone paying attention to this?

The US leads Croatia 48-26 at halftime, having held the Croats to six points in the second quarter.

2. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Beat me by like 15 minutes to start this one. US has looked great behind Durant and Rose since a slow start.

3. TrooperBari

It's getting big play out here despite the peculiar start time.

4. TrooperBari

US 106-78 Croatia

Some questions about the US's level of comfort in a zone and Kevin Love's one-on-one defense, but otherwise a nice, low-key opener.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Although this is being touted as the "B team," I wouldn't be surprised if 4-6 of these guys are on the team in London.

You never know who is gonna be injured, have a major career slump, legal trouble, not feel like playing, etc etc. so I suspect there will be more turnover from 2008 than most believe.

Plus, if Krzyzewski is smart, he will include a few of these guys on the roster so he can have a "shock platoon" -- a younger, faster, more aggressive unit he can send in for 6-8 minutes of high-pressure full-court blitzkrieg to bust open a game (although really he should be playing that way nonstop from buzzer to buzzer, but most of the starters are used to walk-it-up sludgeball).

6. JakeandElwood

I think Rose and Durant are Olympic starters.

7. Starman

If Kobe, LeBron, Carmelo and Wade (not to mention Howard and C. Paul) are all on the roster and healthy, it will be tough to crack the starting lineup. But Kobe will be 34 a week or so after the end of the Games; I think he sits it out.

8. JakeandElwood

True, but Wade didn't even start in Beijing, right? I'd start Durant over 'Melo and the team needs someone to run the point.

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Can't believe Canada lost to Lebanon. Sources say: that's not good.

10. Starman

Wade didn't start in Beijing, but I think he was hampered by the shoulder injury.

11. JakeandElwood

US looking quite bad.

12. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

As usual, no defense and 1-on-1 offense. As history has shown, that's not a blueprint for success in international play.

Draft saved Draft deleted