1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running FCS thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Seven Division I wins is an absolute requirement.

2. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Actually, 7 D-I wins isn't a requirement but the committee gives more weight to teams with seven teams. I'd have to look at it, but the conference of the teams I cover sent out the championship handbook this week with the parameters.

When they expand to 24 teams in the next year or two, then you might start seeing teams with fewer than seven D-I teams in because there won't be enough seven win teams available.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

No at-large team has ever been selected with fewer than seven DI wins. I don't care if it doesn't say it's a requirement. Until the committee breaks that trend, I'm going to continue to believe it is one.

4. Bubbler

From the NCAA selection criteria:

3. The won-lost record of a team will be scrutinized to determine a team's strength of schedule; however, less than seven Division I wins may place a team in jeopardy of not being selected.

5. Bubbler

Indiana State and Youngstown State shit the bed in the MVFC today, ISU losing to Southern Illinois and YSU losing to Missouri State, both were home losses, both finish 6-5.

Bubble teams everywhere rejoice and the beeping noise you hear in Normal, Ill. is Illinois State backing into the playoffs after it lost in double OT to Northern Iowa.

6. Georgiaguy

Georgiaguy Member

I think with Montana St losing to Montana, Georgia Southern becomes the 2 seed behind the undefeated Sam Houston St guys. Georgia Southern lost, but they scored more points and had more total yards and rushing yards than anyone all year against Alabama. Lost 45-21 to the team with the best D in college football, I think that earns you a top 2 seed. I am completly biased though, I went to GSU.

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Fine, I'm a fanboy, but ODU stuck in the play-in round is dubious as hell.

8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

First round
    Albany at Stony Brook
    Central Arkansas at Tennessee Tech
    Norfolk State at Old Dominion
    James Madison at Eastern Kentucky

Second round
    Albany-Stony Brook winner vs. Sam Houston State
    Montana State at New Hampshire
    Central Arkansas-Tennessee Tech vs. Montana
    Wofford at Northern Iowa
    Norfolk State-ODU winner vs. Georgia Southern
    Maine at Appalachian State
    Lehigh at Towson
    James Madison-Eastern Kentucky winner vs. North Dakota State

9. Bubbler

They are NOT happy at 7-4 Illinois State that they were left out and EKU got in. It is true that the MVFC is a far better conference than the OVC and the Redbirds were beaten in double OT by Northern Iowa yesterday.

But Illinois State's nonconference schedule was pretty weak. Easy solution to avoid snub? Play somebody. Better still, beat somebody.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I am assuming the world ended with TTU's conference title and the news is just a little slow to arrive down here.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Any idea when they announce the start times of second round games? I have a feeling I'll be going to one.

12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Anyone know how much of Willie Fritz's success this year has come with his predecessor's kids compared to recent additions. Assuming much of it is the former, but don't know.

Draft saved Draft deleted