1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running FCS thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Similar to UTSA. Full Sun Belt schedule next year as a transitional FBS school, then eligible for bowls and conference titles in 2013.

2. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

I like NDSU as well this week for the reasons stated, plus Rennie isn't as unique as he once was in being a dual threat. There aren't many as good as he is, but there are quite a few in the league now so teams have a better handle on how to defend.

I won't be sold on IlSU's playoff viability unless they can win at Southern Illinois tomorrow. This is the type of game that has always bit them in the past. If they can win this game then I think they are in if a loss to UNI is close. (The lost to NDSU on the road by 10.)

It will be interesting to see if both teams are 7-4. One gets in but not the other. How the committee votes would be precedent setting since I can't think of another case where head-to-head vs. strength of schedule is so clear of a determining factor.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

If George Mason and VCU would ever add football the commonwealth could have a kick-ass conference and eliminate the trips to Maine, Rhode Island and UNH and have a home opponent who actually travels some fans.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Well, we've found something else that's on the Longhorn Network.

Georgia State-UT San Antonio football. In overtime. ... Ha.

Solid win for the Monarchs today. One more win and they're in.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Props to ODU. Huge win today. Crazy how good they've gotten in such a short period of time.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Caught the ASU-Georgia Southern game on ESPN3 today. ASU got a couple of big breaks from the zebras. Could have easily had one touchdown pass ruled incomplete, and also could have given Georgia Southern a fresh set of downs in the red zone on a taunting penalty after an incomplete pass into the end zone. This wasn't one of those celebration penalties, either. I'd have thrown the flag.

7. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Have to vote North Dakota State No. 1 now, no? But then who?

I'd expect a lot of shake-up in the polls all the way through this week.

8. Mystery Meat II

ODU being where they are right now is pretty shocking, especially with a true frosh QB starting the last four games. Richmond sounds like they've thrown in the towel and W&M has been a massive disappointment, so 8-3 is feasible and 9-2 not totally out of the question. Of course, in a year where the conference's best team is Maine, all bets are off.

Speaking of the Black Bears, for a team that whose only loss was by six at Pitt, they aren't very highly ranked. Presumably they'll move up this week, but I'm guessing it's been a while since the top team in the CAA wasn't in the top five.

Weird score of the week comes from Hampton-Savannah State. Hampton won 22-5, but what's noteworthy is that late in the third quarter, the score was 5-5. Field goal and safety for both teams. Has that ever happened in Division I football? And are Penn State fans upset it didn't happen to them first?

9. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Don't welcome that possibility. Louisiana is a good example of a state that has oversaturated its football market. Louisiana could use 1-2 fewer FBS programs and 1-2 fewer programs overall. UL-Monroe could stand to return to the FCS. I won't comment on who could stand to drop football.

10. Mystery Meat II

Virginia has pretty strong high school football yet only two FBS programs. Louisiana, a much smaller state, has five. Virginia could easily support at least one more FBS program and probably more, though JMU is the only school expressing legitimate interest in moving up.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I saw the Spiders in person yesterday, and they were dreadful. ODU should handle them with relative ease.

12. Mystery Meat II

Such high hopes for the Spiders, then they beat Duke, but now they're at *best* the sixth-best FCS school in the state (ODU, JMU, W&M, Liberty, Norfolk State). Didn't quite see that one coming.

Draft saved Draft deleted