1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running ERA Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, May 31, 2007.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hal? I hated that fucker Morris, dude couldn't ever stand still in the batter's box. :D

Oh, I gotta think Maddux's season edges Gibson's, but only because 1968 was such an anomaly that it's hard not to consider those numbers a little skewed (in a similar way to how HR numbers from 1987 or 1996 have to be taken with a grain of salt, too.)

The league ERA in '68 was under 3.00, which is just insane. Gibson helped make it that way, sure, but I'll say this: The worst pitching team in the NL in '68 (Cincinnati) would have been the league ERA champion in '94. Maddux putting up his numbers when he did barely trumps Gibson putting up his numbers when he did.

That said, we're talking about two of the top five pitching seasons of all time.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I'll raise you Pedro's 1.74 in 2000.

Best season I have ever seen.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Agree. Pedro's season is No. 1.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wait...you two just AGREED?!? Now that is true evidence of how special Pedro's 2000 season really was.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I'm utterly without speech.....

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Puck Fedro. If he comes up to bat, I'd probably drill him in the ass. [/boots]

Draft saved Draft deleted