1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running ERA Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, May 31, 2007.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

[​IMG]

2. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

2.20; 2.69; 2.79; 3.44; 3.64

So if these are the ERAs for your five starters (and thier combined record is 24-10), is there a better rotation in baseball ?

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Well, yeah, buck, that's exactly what I was implying

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

The 2007 season ERA for the winning pitcher of the clinching game of the 2006 World Series.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

My holy grail of stats is the pitcher who faces a batter in his first ML appearance, lets him on, gets pulled, the runner ends up scoring, the rookie never appears again in a major league game. ERA = infinity.

According to Baseball Almanac, there have been 37 pitchers to record a season ERA of infinity. The most recent were Wilson Alvarez with Texas in 1989 and Brian Harvey with the Marlins in 1995.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

True...but flukish...and I mean the good pitching by Weaver in the playoffs last year, not the shitty performance this season.

8. Captain_Kirk

Extremely flukish, which makes the Cardinals run last year seem even more miraculous.

And what if Weaver never wins again (he's 0-6 thus far)? Longshot perhaps, but how many teams are going to take a shot at a guy who gets bombed every single time out?

If that were to happen, consider the odds of the winning pitcher for a Series clincher, a starter no less, never getting another victory in the bigs. I'm guessing that probably hasn't happened much, if ever.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Since when did they put internet access in the kitchen?

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

No, it hasn't happened to a starter. In fact, it's only happened once at all.

That would be Duane Ward, who won the 1993 WS clincher in relief, and only pitched 4 more games for the Blue Jays. He didn't win a game after that Series.

The closest comparison to Weaver is, believe it or not, Catfish Hunter, who won 2 games in his only season after winning the 1978 WS clincher.

Other notables:

- Gary Nolan won 4 more games after winning the 1975 WS clincher.
    - Blue Moon Odom* won 4 more games after the 1974 WS clincher.
    - Wilcy Moore* won 5 more games after the 1932 WS clincher.
    - Dolf Luque* won 5 more games after the 1933 WS clincher.
    - Aurelio Lopez* won 8 more games after the 1984 WS clincher.
    - Johnny Beazley won 9 more games after the 1942 WS clincher.
    - Bud Daley* won 10 more games after the 1961 WS clincher.

* won their WS games in relief

11. Captain_Kirk

damn. nice work, buck.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Damn, that's just all kind of wrong ...

Buick, I'm now convinced that you are not human. Your real name is HAL, right?

Since we're on ERAs, which do you guys think is more impressive: Gibson's 1.12, or Maddux' 1.56?

Draft saved Draft deleted