1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Election '06 Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flying Headbutt, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The most critical fatcat fantasy goes down. Others, to follow.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Tester/Burns moved within the margin of error in the last 10 days or so. I still think it's too close to call. I'm hopeful Burns goes down. He's just an embarrassment.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Blagojevich (D) wins governor seat in Illinois.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Hope Nancy Pelosi is taking notice of the conservative Dems getting elected: Shuler, the guy from Indiana, etc. Don't think she'll be able to ride herd on a guy like Shuler, pro-life Christian boy that he is.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Honestly, I still don't think Tester will win, but I just thought I'd pass that along from my friend.

I wonder who Bill Bennett is betting on tonight?

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

So CNN is giving the Democrats the house...

The Republicans were brutal, but now the alternative is putting Charles Rangel in charge of the Ways & Means committee? A guy who has never seen an appropriations bill he didn't like and have plans to add millions to... We are running an enormous debt, and they are going to do everything they can to increase spending.

I believe in supply side economics, and I still HOPE they scale back the tax cuts, even though it will get vetoed. You can't spend like crazy and cut taxes. You need to cut both for it to work, and if you aren't going to do that, you should balance the ledger, instead of creating a huge deficit. The problem is, the Republicans were ass-backward on this, and the Democrats are going to be worse. I guess Bush will be exercising his veto power a whole lot, and that won't be a bad thing. People voted for change, but what they are going to get is gridlock. That may not be a bad thing.

7. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Thank God on both counts. I like Kyl, but Hayworth is nothing more than a bully whose intellectual capacity is an inch wide and a centimeter deep.

8. Coverage highlights so far for me...

MSNBC when Shuler was announced.
    Olberman: He completed something!

Also Daily Show when Dan Rather came on for analysis... Stewart kept trying to coax some homespun metaphors out of him.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Allen and Webb will go on for days ahead, since only a few thousand votes seperate the two while there are about 133,000 absentee ballots to count.

10. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Apparently, the Wash Post took the Maryland Senate off the board for Cardin. CNN still has Cardin winning even though Steele is leading by 16,000 votes with 48% reporting. I'm not saying Steele is going to win, but how can anyone look at those numbers and call it for Cardin right now?

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

So much depends on where those posted votes are from, and from which sections they've yet to be reported. . . .

12. On the face of it I'd agree, PDB, but if you look at the county-by-county returns it doesn't look good for Steele.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/files/elections/2006/general/by_county/us_sen/MD.html?SITE=MDBAEELN&SECTION=POLITICS

Draft saved Draft deleted