1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Election '06 Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flying Headbutt, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Forget about the Lieberman projection. What's up with Mike Barnicle's teeth? I am thouroughly distracted watching him on MSNBC.

He seems to be missing a bunch of teeth. He looks like a voter from West Virginia.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Bob Schieffer has started with the metaphors.

And AP may be out on a limb already. It's called the governor winner in one state based on the city results alone.

Some never learn.

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

One of the joys of not having to work on Election Night is sitting at home and watching the results come in.

The early returns are in: Online news sites have a long, long way to go in figuring out how to display results in such a way that 1/the results can be read and 2/they don't take two or three minutes to load.

Much of the content is being provided by AP, and AP's servers aren't holding up under the load.

Guess I'll have to resort to turning on the TV.

4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I did maintain one election-night tradition from my newspaper days, however; I just ordered a pizza. :)

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Allen's lead now down to about 11 thousand with 94 percent turned in. Keep in mind, there are more than 130 thousand absentee ballots to count in Virginia too.

6. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Maryland is back up for grabs.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

SD abortion ban still down 56-44 with a quarter of precincts reporting.

Without the Sioux Falls or Rapid City vote in yet, that could be a blowout denunciation of that law.

8. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Huh? I thought they already called the race for Cardin.

9. This site says the VA race is tighter.

http://sbe.vipnet.org/

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

It was so completely ridiculous early that everyone where I'm at had bug eyes at the proclamation. It was so premature, it makes BYH look like a marathon man.

11. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I said this on the other thread, but it bears repeating. Much like Al Gore in December of 2000, I have never liked Rick Santorum more than watching him give the concession speech. He was gracious -- exhorting the crowd to give Casey a real round of applause -- and had none of his typical sharp edges.

12. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

They did. According to the current CNN.com totals, which certainly could be inaccurate, there's only a 5,000-vote margin. But I don't have all the information they considered, such as where the votes will be coming from later tonight. Right now, only 33 percent of precincts have reported. But that's just what the site says. Does anybody have different numbers on this?

Draft saved Draft deleted