1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Dog Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Jun 17, 2016.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

So put a treat on his tongue and get on with it! :) He looks deserving.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Our Oakley. Got her from a shelter back in November. She's adorably, but always running 100 mph literally from the moment she wakes up. She'll settle right in for bed, but as soon as the alarm goes off she's ready to start playing.

cranberry, JakeandElwood and amraeder like this.
  3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Such big ears you have. So sweet. She'll simmer down. My Bailey used to run like a maniac. Now she sleeps all the time, unless she's chasing a varmint or a lizard.

Batman likes this.
  4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We also have a cat, and it's fun watching them interact. The dog will jump on anyone and anything that walks in the door, so when the cat comes in from outside she has to make her way past Oakley like they're doing an Oklahoma drill. I've seen the cat fake her out, jump over her, whatever.
    Then Oakley badly wants to be friends and to treat her like a family member, but the cat's not all that interested most of the time. Dog sniffs the cat's butt, cat turns and hisses. Once in a while, though, the cat will let Oakley chase her around the house, jump out from behind a chair and ambush her, or playfully swat at her. Funny stuff.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Serious question: (OK, not too serious) Peanut was a gift from my sister, who was separated from her husband at the time and had to get rid of her at the time of reconciliation. And I didn't really see her as a gift at the time. :p But what a sweet girl. I've had dogs my entire life and have never seen this -- Peanut is a pretty aggressive licker, licking my legs/whatever, and sometimes my face, when she gets going. Well, always my face, but not usually aggressively.. She really goes to town ... but when I put a hand on her, she becomes so gentle and slows down. It has become like a parlor game or something for me ... touching, not touching ... and she ALWAYS slows down when I am touching her. Is that a normal thing? Is it a calming influence? I have no idea.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I love ALL animals, and cats are great. But this is why I'm a dog person. Dogs are much more social/lovable. No offense, cat fans!

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Our cat is almost like a roommate. She spent the first five months of her life outside our house with her mother, so she's housebroken. When she absolutely has to go inside, she uses the litter box. She'll go outside and stay out all night, coming in just for food or to cool off/warm up for a while. And even though we live next to a fairly busy road, she never goes near it. Always stays around the house, so I don't even worry about her anymore. She's also cuddly and pettable. She's one of the most low maintenance pets I've ever had.
    If we let the dog loose outside the fence, she'd run into the road and get run over in about 10 seconds.

BDC99 likes this.
  8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Retrievers are beautiful dogs. I've never met a bad one. And that Golden in the back is amazing.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Looks like the Dog Illuminati.
    Next up on the agenda for world domination: door knobs.

Iron_chet and JakeandElwood like this.
  10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I used to cover the cop when he was a baseball player in high school 10 years ago.

Owners mourn dog who was shot by officer during dogfight | VTDigger

“He turned around to me and said, ‘I’m going to shoot your dog.’ And I was screaming, ‘No!’ He pointed (the gun) at Diesel and shot him right in the eye and Diesel fell to the ground, and then he shot him three more times. And then I’m standing there with Diesel with his one eye shot and he’s looking at me out of the other eye like, ‘Cheryl, help me.’ He was lying there twitching and then he just stopped moving. He just stopped moving.”

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Admittedly, I was a bit cautious around "pit bulls" for a long time. Then I visited my cousin in Washington who is a vet and she had the cutest pit bull, she was huge but so sweet.

Then my next door neighbor's wife brought a pit bull puppy home who was found wandering near the school she teaches at. Zoe is the sweetest dog on the planet (well almost as much as I love my dogs) and I love petting and playing with her.

They have reminded me no doubt its about the owners, not the dogs. The bias against pit bulls is so wrong

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I'm sure there are mean pit bulls that don't have shitty owners, but I'd wager they're few and far between.

Draft saved Draft deleted