1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Dog Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Jun 17, 2016.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Mack and Doc's favorite activity is sitting under trees and waiting for squirrels to fall out... dogs.jpg

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

First of 2 posts about Aussies. This is Bennett, who was the runt of his litter and as such was stunted size-wise. He was a fucking psychopath who never ever fucking calmed down.

But he was a loving dog who gave himself to anyone, anytime. Gorgeous gray and white coat. Athletic as a motherfucker.

Took this shot of him jumping thru a hula hoop to grab a toy in '97 or '98. He got a weird cancer 7 or 8 years ago and died.

1934055_122477424705_3977871_n.jpg

3. Songbird

Here's Bennett during a more serene moment.

He had a great sense of humor. During his early years, in Iowa City, I'd always stick my leg out when he wanted to walk by me. Many times he'd jump over. Other times he'd stop, turn his head and look at me with eyes that said, What the fuck, dude, I'm not in the mood. ... One night he's laying near the entry to the kitchen. I'm carrying a tray full of dinner plates and glasses, about to walk into the kitchen ... and Bennett sticks a leg up and trips me -- and everything goes flying into the kitchen. I fall on my face. He runs in all hyper-happy and starts licking my face.

2016-06-17 15.35.20.jpg

dprince57 and JakeandElwood like this.
  4. Songbird

Second part of the Aussie post ...

Here's another photo of Bennett jumping through the hoop. In this one you see Deoge (D.O.G., as in Dog) as a puppy. Stephen -- a world-class sculptor -- had just brought Deoge home and the dogs instantly bonded, Bennett acting as big brother for the first year or so, till Deoge grew up into the beast dog and took over as the alpha. Deoge was the stud dog of town. You took him on a walk and EVERYONE wanted to pet him and commented about his gorgeous coat and how manly he was etc etc. Just a great fucking dog who loved to roughhouse.

Steph and his wife died in a car accident in 2003. That weekend, Deoge stayed with the owner of the gallery I manage so they basically adopted Deoge and it became the Bennett and Deoge show.

Deoge lived another 9 years and died in 2012 at age 16. We placed his ashes next to Steph's and Graham's headstone. They were together again, 9 years later.

1934055_122477439705_1345599_n.jpg

Screen shot 2016-06-17 at 4.17.15 PM.png

47523_430917714705_6325429_n.jpg

20120901_171607.jpg

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

molly long photo.jpg

We have a Molly, too. Our pets usually are named by our daughter after the current Disney or movie craze. Molly came at the height of the Harry Potter craze and is named after Ron Weasley's mom, Molly Wobbles Weasley. Chihuahua-Terrier mix. Pain in the ass, but we love her. She just turned 9 a couple of day ago.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

When you make the mistake of reading any of the political threads, come read this one and the world starts to make a little more sense again.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Sweet! My Bailey is named by my niece after a character in some Disney show. Suite Life of Zach & Cody maybe? Peanut was named by nephews when all were mere pups. Peanut was adopted as a pup, and Bailey was found as a stray puppy with what turned out to be several health issues.

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Deoge was a gorgeous pup!

9. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Yes, it was Halloween. It was a pumpkin sweater. I had to toughen him up after his mother put that on him.

dprince57 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted