1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running deadly force thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 25, 2014.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

You really try too hard sometimes, Dick.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Lois underwent a sex change? Where was the MEDIA!! On this?

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Would that we were treated as such.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Cops accidentally kill "Cops" crew member.

http://www.omaha.com/news/crime/chief-id-s-wendy-s-robbery-suspect-says-he-fired/article_f64dc75c-2e06-11e4-9add-0017a43b2370.html

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Protestors out in Chicago:

[​IMG]

Hundreds of people protested at the 11th Police District on Wednesday night over a deadly police shooting Sunday and others in the past in Chicago.

Roshad McIntosh, 19, was shot to death by an officer Sunday night in the East Garfield Park neighborhood.

Officers said they were trying to question him when he ran, then turned and pointed a gun at them.

The Independent Police Review Authority is investigating the shooting.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/residents-protest-after-man-19-shot-by-police/284217/

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Question posed in a trial transcript I'm reading right now, posed in 1995 to a witness:

Q: "And the description you were given was that of a male white Hispanic?"

A: "Correct."

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Hey, here's one where deadly force wasn't used! All that happened here was that a tall black man sat in jail for six hours because the Beverly Hills police got a description of a tall black man being an armed bank robber. He sat there for six hours because police were too busy to review the videotape they had in their possession that clearly showed he wasn't the tall black man they were looking for. Turns out he was a fairly well-connected producer who was supposed to be part of the entertainment crew for the Emmys but spent the night with Taggart and Billy instead.

The sad thing is, prior to my freedom being taken from me for an easily proven crime I did not commit, I was walking back to my car, by myself, because I needed to check my parking meter, so that I wouldn’t get a ticket and break the law. In fact, if it wasn’t for a text message that I was responding to, I would have actually been running up LaCienega Blvd when the first Beverly Hills Police Officer approached me. Running!

I want to thank GOD, Robin Lola Harrison of the NAACP Hollywood Bureau, Robert Dowdy and Attorney Jaaye Person-Lynn , without whom, I am certain that I would still be locked up in the custody of the Beverly Hills Police Department. Based on comments made by a Beverly Hills Police Officer during my booking, and an FBI Special Agent, it appeared that they had tried and convicted me.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10152352402863207&substory_index=0&id=543298206

Police defend their actions. Dick Whitman, are you reading?

http://laist.com/2014/08/27/beverly_hills_police_defend-apologi.php

"After an eye witness positively identified the subject in a field show-up, police arrested Charles Belk for suspicion of robbery. A follow-up investigation by detectives ultimately determined that Mr. Belk was not involved in the robbery and he was released from custody without charges."

BHPD "deeply regrets the inconvenience to Mr. Belk and has reached out to him to express those regrets and further explain the circumstances. However, based on witness accounts, and his location close to the bank, officers properly detained and arrested him based on the totality of the circumstances known at the time of the field investigation."

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I'm sure next headline is "Community burns down houses, loots and acts like assholes in protest of the deadly force used to kill Cortez Washington but nobody gives a shit that Bryce Dion got shot.....

"Hey, it is about time the cops got one of those whiteys, too!!," Al Sharpton said.....

9. YankeeFan

LAPD releases the names of two cops involved in a controversial shooting.

It only took them 18 days:

St. Louis, you're still on the clock.

10. YankeeFan

Topeka Police Officer killed:

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Florida fires 32 corrections officers, bring up many on criminal charges for their roles in inmate deaths.

The initial investigation by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement said the gassing had nothing to do with Jordan-Aparo’s death. Austin remained on the job for three years, until a team of prison system inspectors visited Franklin to look into unrelated wrongdoing and stumbled onto the circumstances behind Jordan-Aparo’s death, calling it a case of “sadistic, retaliatory” behavior by guards.

When they reported their findings to their boss, Inspector General Jeffery Beasley, he allegedly told them he would “have their asses” if they didn’t back off.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article2176191.html

The firings came as the Herald was getting ready to publish a Sunday story profiling the most abusive guard,

Rollin Suttle Austin was arrested for theft, convicted of drunk driving and accused of dozens of brutal, unprovoked beatings.

Victims have alleged that the beefy, bald, 43-year-old amused himself by slamming heads into concrete and grabbing people by their throats and often bragged about getting away with killing a man.

Austin has a mug shot on file, a criminal history with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and was in the Florida prison system for 23 years.

But Austin wasn’t behind bars and his prison uniform wasn’t inmate blue, it was brown. That’s because, until Friday, Austin was a state corrections officer who carried a badge and a gun.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/state/florida/article2185954.html

Police union says "due process," sons of bitches.

This one's going to the Pulitzer committee.

Draft saved Draft deleted