1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running deadly force thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 25, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's either public information, or it isn't.

There are either procedures in place, or there aren't.

And, if you don't think there are legitimate questions about the St. Louis shooting, then I'm surprised. Have they released info about the police, without the names? Do we know their service and/or disciplinary records?

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Well, yes, "people" did ... but "people" do/say all sorts of stupid-ass things. Many "people" -- plenty of them quite knowledgeable about the law, I might add -- think the robbery might speak to Brown's state of mind/pattern of behavior in the moments prior to his shooting, which would not be a trivial consideration in determining whether that shooting was justified.

But, yeah ... "people". Damn.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This is ridiculously simplistic.

No. There could very well be procedures in the event of misconduct, and other procedures in the event of no misconduct.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Dickie apparently gets sexually aroused
    when he can work racist terms into print.

5. YankeeFan

No determination of misconduct has been made in the Ferguson shooting.

The Chicago shootings are still under investigation, last I read. If there's been a determination, I haven't seen it.

Is St. Louis done? Good shooting, nothing to see here?

And, despite the simplistic nature of my opinion, I'd still be hard pressed to understand how some information can be determined to be public or not, depending on their own determination of misconduct.

These are public employees, doing a public job. We don't have a right to know who shot one of our neighbors as long as it was justified? I call bullshit. Of course we do. And, the press could eventually find out through a FOIL request if they wanted to.

It is public information, and by not releasing it, the police departments are not being very "open".

6. YankeeFan

?

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The St. Louis PD released a recording of the Powell shooting. That alone is a million times more openness than that shown by the Ferguson PD.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

In the Dillon Taylor incident, the police chief has spoken several times about it, including a very specific timetable for the investigation to take place and has "promised" to release the information when it's done, and that includes a recording of that shooting from the cop's body camera.

Again, way more openness than the Ferguson PD has shown. And, that's not even taking into consideration the Ferguson response to the protests, which did more than anything to escalate the situation.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Ever more openness than Eric Holder has shown in Fast and Furious
    or The IRS in Louis Lerner debacle.

10. Dick Whitman

We're all grown-ups here.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Right. Go try that out on some black grown-ups.

12. Dick Whitman

Indeed, I have to imagine they would be unable to restrain their animalistic, violent impulses at the mere use of a word.

Draft saved Draft deleted