1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running deadly force thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I've seen lots and lots and lots of police reports that would counter your assertion that George Zimmerman was the "first ever . . . white Hispanic."

Lots.

2. Dick Whitman

Of course, the left does it, too. Everybody does it.

But my point is that the left doesn't have a monopoly on twisting the narrative. Or buying it. My Facebook friends who were digging up every sordid detail about Trayvon Martin have no problem outsourcing the reporting of this event to right-wing Web sites I've never heard of.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Since Dick brought it up, people pointed to the video of Brown robbing the convenience store as evidence that his character was highly questionable, presumably to make the argument that the officer was justified in killing him.

Taylor, meanwhile, had a felony bench warrant out on him. Presumably, one would also assume his character was highly questionable, presumably to make the argument that the officer was justified in killing him.

The truth, meanwhile, is that neither police department was been very forthcoming about anything, and each has the capability for militarization, which one has already used. One could presume that cops thinking they're above the law and not accountable to the public is the main problem here.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You should not come to the conclusion that he should have been shot, but
    I don't see how you could come to any other conclusion than "questionable
    character" after watching the security tape.

Since he did not steal food and weighed about 300 LBS you could not
    even make the case that he was starving.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Which has influenced the reporting on Michael Brown.

The Times got incredible push back for describing him as "no angel" (which was referring back to the lede in which he talked about seeing angels).

The author of the profile was an African-American, who wrote a mostly superficial, mostly favorable profile.

Bit, what do we know about Big Mike? Seriously, does anyone feel like they have a sense of this guy? The biggest, most reported story of the summer, and I know he liked music, was funny, smoked a little dope, had some sweet headphones, and once fixed something.

I've got a dollar for the first person who can tell me definitively where he was living at the time of his death.

I've got another dollar for the first person who can map out his high school career, telling me which schools he attended.

And, I've been told repeatedly that getting through high school was tough for him, and a big accomplishment, but have no idea why. Was Big Mike a dummy? Did he have disciplinary problems? Was he distracted by his love of music and marijuana?

I truly have no idea. And, based on the blow back to the Times article, and the paucity of people doing original reporting, I'm guessing we'll never know anything more than the superficial about the Gentle Giant.

6. MisterCreosote

By the way, can we put this "George Zimmerman is the first White Hispanic ever" meme to bed now, considering that "white" is a race, and "Hispanic" is not, and that tens of millions of people refer to themselves as both?

And, that many prominent "White Hispanics" have existed throughout history? Like this guy:

[​IMG]

7. Dick Whitman

I've been extremely disappointed at the hysterical reaction to the "no angel" line.

8. Dick Whitman

Our catcher in high school was a guy named Josh Rodriguez.

We often called him "the white Mexican."

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Drugs cost a lot (get it!!??!!11!!??) so you'll have to pony up more than a few bucks for that 411.

10. MisterCreosote

White Hispanic:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. MisterCreosote

White Hispanic:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Another dollar for the first person to tell me the names of the St. Louis cops who killed Kajieme Powell.

Or the names of the cops involved in the two "police involved" killings this past weekend in Chicago.

Draft saved Draft deleted