1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running deadly force thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Salt Lake City PD is taking its sweet time to explain the shooting of a 20-year-old man:

http://www.kutv.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_13131.shtml?wap=0

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The 120th Precinct cops and protesters on the North Shore of Staten Island are apparently much better at conducting demonstrations than the people in Ferguson.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/chokehold-death-demonstrators-leave-harlem-bus-staten-island-article-1.1914257

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

NYT has a "profile" on Michael Brown, oops, I mean, Mr. Brown.

High up in the story is this:

Basing it on a cloud formation he said he saw, then called his parents, at 1 a.m., to tell them about it.

The entire story rings hollow.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/25/us/michael-brown-spent-last-weeks-grappling-with-lifes-mysteries.html?gwh=D771FFE8706F1B7B93733EBFD7559009&gwt=pay&assetType=nyt_now

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Drugs.

5. YankeeFan

Week old story. What's the latest?

And, no need to look all the way to Utah. Two police involved killings in Chicago in the last 24 hours.

6. Dick Whitman

Sometimes I don't know how reporters write these stories, or at least portions of them, with a straight face.

The big Michael Brown was becoming an introspective Philosopher King reveal comes near the climactic conclusion of the story, when he writes, "Everything happens for a reason," on his Facebook page.

What a dishonest, pandering fucking job of telling his story. Boo.

7. Songbird

Delved into his lyrics and one of his favorites, apparently, was ... when bodies hit the ground ... .

8. YankeeFan

I still don't understand Michael Brown's living situation.

LA Times previously reported that he was "staying" with Grandma, after previously staying with friends. CNN reported he was visiting Grandma.

This Times profile says he moved in with Grandma after mom moved, so he could stay in his school. But, school's out, and he's still living with Grandma?

And, while every article about him talks about how school was a "struggle" for him, none say why.

He went to four high schools, but we don't know why:

And, what does it mean when you say he went to Normandy for "most" of his final two years? Did he go somewhere else for part of the final two years? Why?

I also like the Times' source that provided them the information that Brown had no criminal record as a juvenile:

Good unbiased source.

9. Songbird

His mom may have been pissed that a teacher accused him of stealing the iPod (she later brought in the receipt) and moved him to another school out of spite?

10. Dick Whitman

In general, I think that reporters, particularly reporters with the kind of background that typically leads one to write for the Times, are very, very uncomfortable untangling the details of black America family life.

For all I know, now, this reporter could have been raised by his great-grandmother's second cousin in East St. Louis.

But there is certainly a familiarity to the beats of this story that I recognize and that I don't particularly care for. "Patronizing" is the word, I believe.

11. YankeeFan

OK. That accounts for one school change.

There are at least two more.

And, we get no hint at it. Did his family move multiple times? Were there disciplinary problems?

What were the other schools he attended, and did the Times talk to folks there?

It sounds to me like he didn't have a stable place to go to school, or to live, and I have no idea why. And, white, black, or brown, when I read this, and am not given any reasons, I have to think there were disciplinary problems, or problems with authority.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Mr Brown needed someone to steer him to the football field. He could have
    been the next Nick Fairley. Where's Eric Taylor when you need him.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted