1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

running cws thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HoopsMcCann, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

I've heard the grapevine that she's a NHL banger - if you get my drift.

And, that throw wasn't exactly on target as buckweaver said.
    Wonder why they didn't have Cavasinni try to steal? He's their ace base stealer.
    Guess... didn't want to risk the double play?

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Hey SSW ;D

Cavasini tried to steal in the first inning of Sunday's game and was thrown out by about five feet. Plus he wanted to get Horton and Flack, his two best hitters, up to the plate for one last hack. They got their chance.

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I think that second baseman was a senior, too. Talk about something that could fuck up a person's life. Damn. That absolutely sucks.

Also, as a former first baseman, it seemed like Carolina's took his sweet ass time getting to the bag, too. He should have been there sooner and ready to move for the ball.

But again, damn, hate it for that kid.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Have not had a chance to see the play with the throw to first base. Did the first baseman stretch before the second baseman released the ball? I remember being taught how to stretch as a Little League first baseman, and not knowing anything about anything, I tried to impress my coach with my great stretches before the ball was out of the infielder's hand.

The coach hammered into my head that you have to wait until you see where the ball is going, then stretch for it -- or leave the bag if necessary, because the first objective is to catch the ball.

Did the first baseman stretch too soon? If so, he's lucky he doesn't have to face the wrath of my ol' coach.

By the way, happy for OSU. I liked meeting those guys last year at the CWS. Plus, it's going to be fun to hear all my ACC friends spend another offseason telling me how the league doesn't deserve the bad rap it gets for not having won a national title since, what, 1955?

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I thought he started the stretch a little early, and I think he took too long to get over there. The throw was bad, but it shouldn't have gone to the wall.

6. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

How many years has Gunderson sacrificed from his major league career between the past two nights? Did they weld his arm back on in the eighth?
    At least he got a title, unlike Ben McDonald, poster boy for guys who left big league stardom in Omaha. McDonald gets left in for nine innings and 180 pitches in LSU's first-round loss to Texas. Two nights later, he's called into an elimination game with a one-run lead, second and third, nobody out, and blows away the side. Two or three nights later, he starts again against Texas, and gets drilled, finally pulled in the fourth with the Horns leading 10-1.
    Can't help but wonder if that played a role in his flaming out early.
    Or will Gunderson be the next Bill Lee? Rod Dedeaux threw Lee for 27 innings over six days in one of USC's '60s title runs, and it didn't see to harm the Spaceman any.

As badly as the second baseman Steve Saxed that throw, if the first baseman concentrates on catching the thing even at the expense of leaving the bag, it's still a tie game with two out.
    Daniel Bard, you brought back memories of 23 years when I watched another Sox draftee pitch a CWS championship game. See you at Fenway in '08 or '09, and may you have a big league career approaching what that kid from Texas had.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

All I know is, if I wasn't rooting for the Beavers before (and trust me, I was), I was with them in the ninth inning. That's when the ESPN camera's zeroed in on Roy Williams, standing and clapping in the crowd, hoping to see a Tar Heels rally.

Glad it didn't happen. Good for the Beavers.

Draft saved Draft deleted