1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

running cws thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HoopsMcCann, Jun 16, 2006.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Tech had a 5-4 lead with nobody on and two outs in the ninth

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Tech's was in the ninth, not eighth.

And how bout those Heels? :D

3. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

They got some pitchers, that's for sure.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

Do the Dogs have one more rally in them?

EDIT: pparently not.

Tech and UGA go 0-2 in CWS, and the Braves have dropped seven in a row.

Time to focus on football.

5. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

the focus is always on football...

interesting part, though, tech was the no. 8 national seed and they were the first team out (of eight) at omaha and uga was the no. 7 seed and the second team out

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Ga. Tech, two and barbeque.

Clemson, buh-bye. No. 1 national seed wins one game.

Miami, buh-bye. Bats go dead after first game.

Another quality CWS showing by the always-overrated ACC. Four in, three gone. Maybe Carolina can finally win a title for the ACC.

Four teams left, two from the West Coast, where we all know they don't play good college baseball.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I blinked... did I miss the SEC's lone finalist out of the eight teams it sent to the tourney?

8. micropolitan guy

I certainly won't argue with you that the lower half of the SEC is always overrated, either, but still is annually rewarded with five or six regionals and super regionals even though no one except LSU has done much in Omaha.

9. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

So how many games did the SEC win in Omaha this year?
    Oh, that's right. Zero.
    And the ACC still has a team alive in North Carolina.
    Miami wasn't supposed to make it to the CWS anyway.
    And Cal State Fullerton is good... ask Clemson or Tech. But with three ACC teams in that side of the bracket, only one could make it to the championship series anyway.
    Otherwise, carry on.

10. micropolitan guy

Where did you ever see that I promoted the SEC? The bottom half of the ACC is just as overrated as the ACC generally is. The ACC has won one NCAA baseball title in the past 49 years.

And as far as the ACC being eliminated because it beat up on each other:

Miami: 1-2 vs. non-ACC
    Clemson: 0-1 vs. non-ACC
    Ga. Tech: 0-1 vs. non-ACC
    Carolina: 1-0 vs. non-ACC

That's 2-4 when playing out-of-conference, a .333 winning percentage.

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Sorry to rally-kill this little internecine squabble between overrated East Coast baseball conferences, but I need to vent. The Titans are continuing to piss me off.

WTF is going on with that starting pitching? Roemer didn't get out of the fifth today -- six runs and 10 hits later.

Game Tracker and I are waiting for the obligatory rally now. It didn't happen until I was 2/3 of the way home last night and a buddy text-messaged me with the final score.

12. micropolitan guy

That first-game loss seeed to throw Fullerton off its game.

Oregon State vs. Rice on Thursday; Rice has the big edge in pitching but the Beavers seem to be on a roll, allowing only four runs in the last 27 innings in three elimination games.

Bush-league play by the Rice runner, steamrolling the OSU reliever. Should be ejected for the next game too, for a deliberate attempt to injure.

Carolina has to be happy that they get two days rest and OSU/Rice only gets one. The Heels are awfully good and have to like where they're sitting.

Very untraditional CWS, especially if Rice loses on Thursday. No cold-weather team has finished as high as third, which Oregon State is guaranteed of, in many, many years.

Draft saved Draft deleted