1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

running cws thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HoopsMcCann, Jun 16, 2006.

1. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

go clemson! (well, today)

2. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

Hard to know who to root for in this one. I'll take Tech, but only because I love watching games at Russ Chandler Stadium.

3. HoopsMcCann

ugh... bubba... to think, i used to like you.

as bad as clemson and their white shoes are, how about tech waering piss-colored jerseys

i fuckin' hate tech

(but i still love your handle -- bubba fett -- by far my favorite on this site. wish i woulda thought of it.)

4. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

Sorry to let you down. I loathe both these schools, but I had to pick one.

The white shoes were definitely a factor in my picking Tech.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ha, I'll be popping in-n-out of this thread, I bet. Good call.

Don't kill me, Hoops, but in some areas I think I can be prosecuted for this: went to UGA, cheering for GT. No, that's not a hangable offense (only because it's not football! And I do hate Tech football.) But I grew up on Jackets baseball -- knew Nomar and that gang, went to all those winter camps in Atlanta, played with/against Menocal in H.S., covered him in college and beyond ... can't give up on the Wreck in baseball, like I can in every other sport.

But I HATE HATE HATE Clemson, especially in baseball. Hate those ugly-ass shoes, and those ugly-ass purple unis. Hate Khalil, hate Kris Benson, hate everything about that team. ... Oh, and it's 3-0 Tech after a half-inning. ;)

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Serious question to all you college baseball wrtiers:

Why will they not go back to wood bats? Aluminum bat baseball sucks and is far more dangerous.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yes, it does. And no, I don't know.

The sound of *ping* makes me shudder. A 6'5", 230 behemoth should not be swinging a stick of aluminum. Somebody WILL get killed. Someday.

8. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

I've always heard that the cost of replacing all those wooden bats was part of the reason. Don't know if there's anything to that.

I used to hate the ping, but I've gotten used to it -- if for no other reason than with the aluminum bats no lead is safe.

9. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

If you were a diamond merchant, there'd be money to be made in the Clemson spinchters today..... they are tighter than tight right now.

10. HoopsMcCann

1. you're dead to me buck. dead.

2. as far as wood -- here's what i've heard a couple of times. basically, it's about money. easton, louisville slugger etc. supply the bats as sponsorships. they also use it for advertising. it's no coincidence that one of easton's model of bats is called 'omaha'. since they don't have the majors to advertise tehir products, they have the cws and put money into college baseball for the exposure they don't get anywehre else. and, since most youth leagues and high school associations use aluminum, that's where the real money for bat makers is. they need to market their product somehow and college baseball is the best way. if they took away the bat money, many college baseball programs would be hurting.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

MLB can and should be able to supplement that now, though. They donate enough of their money to other causes, there's plenty of millions in the coffers to cough up a million decent-grade wooden bats for struggling NCAA programs every year. And with the way prices have risen for metal bats in the last decade, I can't imagine the cost is much higher for wood nowadays.

12. HoopsMcCann

thing is, buck... college don't pay for 'em. they get 'em for free

Draft saved Draft deleted