1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running "Cops be crazy yo" thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Jun 8, 2015.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I don't disagree that cops should be subject to scrutiny, that we are a free people and should be free to live without getting fucked with by cops.

That isn't my point.

My point is in many cases we are seeing partial videos, videos out of context, and every one of them is presented as if the cop is some predator who did something evil and thus we should be outraged.

And in some cases, I agree.

But in others I watch the video and want to see the WHOLE video and also come away thinking the cop did what he had to do in order to get home safely to see his wife and kids.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

If that officer (and I use that term loosely) felt so threatened he should have called for back up. Again, its funny that the other two cops didn't seem to have to the same problems with these kids that this roid raging fuck did. And I'd wanna' bash his fucking teeth in for putting me in that situation as well as making me part of a national story.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There was backup. KTLA 5 reported at least a dozen officers responded. The NY Times reported there were as many as 130 kids there. Do the math.

4. qtlaw24

qtlaw24 Active Member

So about 7% are abusive?

Pulling a gun when unarmed people don't respond is not a reasonable response and should not be condoned.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, they could have called for more officers, but then they would be accused of having too strong a presence.

6. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

These were polite, middle class, African-American teens. Yes they do exist. They spoke proper english. They wore appropriate attire for a teenage swim party, swimsuits, towels, shorts. Gidget would approve. No sagging, no do rags. They had white friends. The abusive language was coming from one out of control cop. Most of the other officers were chill.

Barney Fife needs to find another line of work.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

All those batons ...

Throw in some drummers and tall flag girls you have a helluva marching band.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I wish I saw more analysis of these types of things from law enforcement professionals explaining whether something was proper police procedure or not. Granted I'm not a law enforcement officer (nor have I played one on TV), but spent enough time on the cops beat to learn a few things. That wasn't the way you handle a situation like that. If anything, the cop put himself in a more dangerous situation than he was in initially. Doesn't look like he did a good job with situation assessment, force escalation, command presence or weapons handling. Kneeling on the girl put himself in an extremely vulnerable position. And he was foolish to just assume the various white male adults walking around were on his side.
    Yes, I understand there are situations when cops come into a situation with massive force to gain the upper hand (like breaking down a door on warrant/search) or when dealing with known offenders - this case was neither.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
    franticscribe and TopSpin like this.
  9. TopSpin

TopSpin Member

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He was sued in 2007 for brutality and racial profiling. The lawsuit was dismissed.

I'm sure if a video existed, it would confirm exactly what was in the police report that led to the dismissal of the lawsuit.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Went from Texas State Trooper to McKinney P.D. to jobless. Hmmmmmm.

studthug12 likes this.
  12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

You don't graduate from the DPS academy until you pass Asshole 101. This guy set the curve.

Draft saved Draft deleted