1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running "Cops be crazy yo" thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Correct. All it takes is one butthole cop to cause a problem.

Problem is in the police culture, you side with the jerk who overreacts. You are ostracized if you don't. The best protect the worst.

bigpern23 likes this.
  2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

This post makes me think of Serpico.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
    bigpern23 likes this.
  3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I think it is the greatest thing in the world. There have always been abusive cops, and lots of them who think nothing of taking shortcuts to railroad people, such as planting evidence or filing false charges. And they prey on the people who are the most ignorant of their rights or who are the most socio-economically powerless. These videos are shining a spotlight on the police and it is a great thing if it helps keep them honest because they now always have to worry about being filmed. So I think it is wonderful and hope it happens more and more. If it stops even one cop from beating the shit out of someone -- because he used to know he would get away with it -- great! Transparency is never a bad thing.

We become indoctrinated at an early age to believe that the police are our friends. And so many people believe that they are supposed to subordinate themselves to cops -- as in, the cops are an authority over our lives. But it should be the opposite, in my opinion. We're free people. The cops should be leaving us alone unless there is a VERY compelling reason -- a high probable cause standard. And even if a cop can meet a high probable cause standard--let's say they really wanted to detain all of those kids--there should always be a primacy on our rights as free people. The cops are the intruders on our lives when they get involved with us (and detain anyone), not the other way around. I think societally we have stepped farther and farther away from that fundamental idea, and when that happens you are that much closer to losing your freedom as a people.

All cops can do is take away your freedom. So to my way of thinking, they are NOT my friend. They can only create a hellish problem for me. Worse, you never know who you are dealing with -- that one bad apple, that people are talking about (and I'd argue that there are way more bad apples, than just one). If you have to worry about their abuse, being roughed up by one, having false charges brought against you, having evidence planted, or whatever crappy things they can do to mess with you, it makes it a real problem for society. So I say film away. Keep them honest.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Yep, me too, and I just watched Serpico last week.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Code of Silence with Chuck Norris, too.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He had an expired license, poin. He's lucky they only broke his wrist.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Not even that.

Police ignored paperwork Farias had with him indicating that his suspension had been lifted, documents claim.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Good point. Then I will defer to the official explanation of windshield obstruction, a.k.a. the Christmas tree air freshener on the rear-view mirror.

Seems legit.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

One neighborhood resident also posted on FB that a DJ had shown up, been playing music, and had invited people to a "pool party" for $15.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

"A bunch of teenagers"? Yeah that's it - because it isn't like a bunch of teenagers could be packing heat, it isn't like little Boyz in the Hood wannabes are loaded for bear and willing to shoot at anyone to "make their bones"

I have no issue at all with a cop, who is trying to settle a situation, pulling his pistol when a bunch of wannabe tough guys charge him.

Fuck them too

Draft saved Draft deleted