1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running comic books thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Mar 6, 2007.

1. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

looks awesome:
    not sure if it's been posted.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No biggie. At least now I know to pick up a copy today.

And I saw you posted the Fantastic Four trailer. There's a newer TV spot, too, that you can see on the movie website. It does look really good.

3. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Looking at the new Onslaught Reborn cover got me thinkin' ....

What was it about Leifeld that made everybody think he was hot shit back in the day? Gawd, his art is terrible. Looks like something I would have drawn in junior high.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Mutant Massacre was excellent. Actual long-term effects, as both the X-Men and X-Factor were decimated.

Fall of the Mutants wasn't a crossover, and no one really fell except Cypher, the new mutant whose talent was to understand languages. Inferno was conceived by Claremont as the crossover to end all mutant crossovers, because he hated the marketing people pushing them. It was very good, tied up a lot of loose ends, and was notable in that it didn't just exist to sell comics by slapping an event name on there, then returning everything to normal with the exception of a new character or two afterward.

X-Tinction Agenda was very good as well, tied up a lot of the Genosha stuff that had been brewing. I think it stands up well, other than the horrendous art in X-Factor. I'm not an artist wonk, I'm a story fan. But Jim Lee's stuff on X-Men was amazing.

X-Cutioner's song . . . I just couldn't get interested, though I bought the whole thing thinking I might read it some day.

Only saw parts of Age of Apocalypse, but I think it's an inspired idea. Onslaught . . . . Horrible. I remember the oartwhen it was recalled that Xavier loved Jean Grey, and that was part of why Onslaught is evil. Well . . that was a throwaway line from an early one, No. 4 I believe, where Jean says not to worry, and Xavier thinks something like "AS if I could help worrying abouit the one I love!" Stanley, in his notes for the front of the Marvel Masterworks reprint, expresses how he was just throwing stuff at the wall at that point.

Fatal Attractions wuld have been fine, but as far as this fan is concerned, Magneto died in X-Men No. 3, Claremont's last issue.

Yes, I think Claremont is great. You grow up reading someone's stuff . . . . . but I hear he sucks now. Oh well. He really ruled those books with an iron hand in their heyday, story-wise.

I don't think X-Men has topped Dark Phoenix. I don't think anyone has. I love the legend that Claremont and Byrne were gonna let her live before Jim Shooter (marvel EIC) stepped in and said, no, she has to be punished for her crimes. The brilliant way they resurrected her five years later just adds to the legend. The only comic book death that had a plausible explanation for why it didn't stick. (The Aunt May crap is a joke. The woman is dead).

Can't wait to see what BS they pull for Captain America. Kind of stupid to have a seminal character like that, then off him in that way.

A sniper. Gimme a freaking break. But at lest they didn't pull a DC and just create a new character for the sole purpose of killing/injuring the seminal hero with the suffix -man in his name, only to retcon the whole thing after the series was done and readers had been bulked into buying the whole thing, including crossovers.

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

damn! And I thought I was a comic book junkie. Haven't bought anything new in a while, but what's up with this Onslaught Reborn crap? Worth picking up?

6. outofplace

I don't think so. Issue 3 was on the stands today and I left it there.

I agree on Cap, though I don't regularly read it. I do like that they killed him in his own book, not in the crossover event, where the true fans will see it.

A buddy of mine manages a comic shop. He was PISSED. They didn't let anybody know this was coming, so the shops didn't buy enough issues. Another local store (as in not where my buddy works) was selling them for $20 apiece today. Sickening abuse of the situation.

I've read most of those stories in trade and they all kick the crap out of Onslaught. Though I still like the idea of Xavier paying for what he did to Magneto. Xavier can pretty much end any battle in a heartbeat, but he chooses restraint. The one time he didn't, he and the X-Men paid big-time.

Oh yeah...and bring back Jean, dammit. The way they killed her off sucked. (Screw you, Morrison).

7. outofplace

http://movies.ign.com/articles/771/771046p1.html

For those who grew up on G.I. Joe comics, which happened to be the first series I collected regularly. This is going to suck SOOOOOO bad.

8. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Whoa. Not cool - AT ALL.

But, now I know enough to NOT SEE THIS. And knowing is half the battle.

9. Piotr Rasputin

I loved GI Joe comics. I hated the cartoon., other than the theme song. They say the old comic, written by future wolverine writer Larry Hama, "was doing ninjas before ninjas were cool."

I'm proud to say that, including reprints, I have Nos. 1-72 of the old comic. Not counting reprints, I have No. 9-20 and 22-72. I loved the damn comic, I had the toys as a kid, I was all abouit GI Joe. The fleshing out oif Snake Eyes' back story last year in the new comic was enjoyable.

And I'm not surprised they're completely ruining what Marvel had already taken several liberties with, the GI Joe mythos.

Bastards. Don't insult us. Have the integrity to call it something else, like you should have done with the abomination that was Highlander 2.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm a G.I. Joe geek, too. First comics I ever owned were a three-pack from Toys R Us with Nos. 51, 53 and 55 of the Marvel series. Eventually, I had a complete run from about No. 35 to 135, and then all but the first couple issues of the new series.
    But this...this is an abomination before God.
    When will people accept that G.I. Joe isn't all about the shit that came in the 1960s? Yes, it was the original. No, it wasn't the best. There's an entire generation that'll be cursing this fuckhead's name by the time this abortion sees the light of day.
    Let's see, a kickass story about a ruthless terrorist's rise to power from humble beginnings as a used-car salesman....yeah, that'll make people laugh. That's much more outrageous than the Action Man bullshit. Fucking cock-gobbling asshole motherfuckers.

11. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Anybody run down for me any significant deaths in the Civil War story?

12. Piotr Rasputin

Exactly.

Done properly, with the elements Hama could never truly take all the way, this could have been a compelling movie. But just as Fantastic Four mutilated Doctor Doom's origin - one of the more interesting in all of comics - Cobra is seen as bumbling idiots, not terrorists.

Draft saved Draft deleted