1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running comic books thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I think what will make Spidey stand out from the others is if they hold true to it being a triology. If they end it now, this can be one hell of a series.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

IMDB.com has a story (no attribution) with Tobey Maguire saying this will be the last time he plays Spider-Man, and Kirsten Dunst is ready to leave the franchise as well.

Sam Raimi is quoted as most likely wanting the series to go on, but he wouldn't do it without the current cast.

That's damn depressing.

http://www.imdb.com/news/wenn/2007-03-05/

3. outofplace

Hehe...saw this as I posted mine. Obviously, we disagree. I'd like to keep it going as long as they can keep Raimi and the cast. I do NOT want to see them go forward if Maguire leaves.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on the straight to DVD Superman-Doomsday movie
    It is getting a PG-13 rating, I think a first for a cartoon movie.
    And from what I have heard, it has some potential, but they recast all the voices, which I think is a little odd.

5. outofplace

There is a one-shot coming called The Confession (I think) which is basically a conversation/confrontation between the two of them.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I would think so. At the end of Civil War Cap realizes Iron Man was right, so it would seem the door is open for reconciliation of some sort. Whether Cap's followers feel the same way is another story.

7. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Iron Man's points made sense (I still haven't read issue 7 or the end of Front Line) but it all boiled down to trusting the government to work for them, which in the Marvel, Henry Gyrich Universe, was a precipitious proposition. Good series even if it took 10 years to finish.

As for the movies, Spidey 2 was the bomb, Spidey fantastic, I liked all three X-Mens (3 may have been a Brett Ratner production but it had some balls and kept you on edge because you didn't know who would die), the new Batman was great. Superman blew, in that they made it about Lois and his kid(!)

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Comic books . . . . . I think I'm way out of the loop on the more popular ones. For many favorites, they fell into a bad 1990s rut where they thought character development meant causing catstrophic injury to the main character. That's not development, that's shameless "event" writing. The yearly mutant crossovers pushed me away, validated by the travesty that was "Onslaught."

But a few random thoughts:

Haven't read X-Men with any regularity since Claremont left in 1991, and wasn't impressed when I did read it in the intervening years. Have a scary recall of everything from No. 1-298, though. From No. 94-245 or so, probably the best run any comic's ever had. Usually had a solid payoff for just about every story thread it started. Then they started the whole Siege Perilous storyline, and it dragged a bit.

Used to collect GI Joe, loved it a decade ago when all back issues were only two bucks after being $8-10 in the comic's heyday.

Spider-Man "jumped the shark" for me before the whole Clone thing 10 years ago, and that was the nail in the coffin. Reading that there is a group of old-school idiots at Marel who are convinced he should never have married Mary Jane, "because he's no meant to be happy!" is incredibly stupid. Spider-Man is a great character because he had everyman problems with money, classes and girls, yet always tried to do the right thing. Marrying a supermodel who understands him was his reward. If he just kept suffering with no payoff, there would be no realism, and no reason for the character to hope.

Still, his rogues' gallery is unmatched, even by Batman. I love that the movies are nods to the classic 1960s stories by Stanley, right down to the dorky moped. I want Aunt May to call him a "pussywillow" in the films, thinking it means "pussycat."

Batman produced the best graphic novels, period. Some of the stuff from 1986-1988 including Dark Knight, Year One and Killing Joke was absolutely tip-top.

Really enjoyed the early days of John Byrne's Superman 20 years ago. Doomsday, not so much.

On movies: Spider-Man had inspired casting, and is quite good. X-Men had potentially bad casting, but is also quite good. Batman Begins was the best comic movie since the original Superman, which was the template for the genre.

Those who haven't read Watchmen, what are you thinking? Close the browser and get to Borders.

Of recent comics, liked the first Sin City comic, and the film.

Rising Stars by J. Michael Stracynski is another one that caught my eye, and gets my highest possible recommendation. It's a lot more like "heroes" than X-Men is.

Geeky, hell yes. But what did you expect?

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I usually go to the local Borders to read my comics and sip some coffee cuz they are just too expensive to buy anymore. That way I can read all of them anyway. Then I get my Wizard mag and am caught up to date.

Or so I thought.

Stopped at a Barnes and Nobles in Akron Sunday and they had tons of comics I didn't even know existed -- Ms. Marvel, Spider-Girl, She-Hulk (well, I knew that existed), Ghost Rider (that, too, although I didn't know it was still around), Cable and Deadpool, Nighthawk vs. Hyperion. I was stunned!

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Biiiiiiiig Batman geek.

Have caught up over the past few years by reading the No Man's Land Series; Legacy; Contagion; Death and the Maidens; Hush; and the War Games/War Crimes series with Black Mask (not that good).

I just finished X-Men's "The End", and the Civil War.

There is a big gap in my reading from about 1985-now. Yes, I have read the Watchmen. I will listen to any recommendations.

11. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

You like Kirsten Dunst as Mary Jane?

12. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Anyone check out The Dark Tower from Marvel yet?

I recommend these trade paperbacks:
    Y:The Last Man
    Fables
    Runaways
    DMZ

Draft saved Draft deleted