1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running comic books thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Seems like we've got a few comics geeks on this board -- and another slew of comic-related movies coming out in the next few months -- so I figured I'd start this and see where it goes. And away we go...

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I've posted this one a few places. Did anybody have any luck getting the Spider-Man 3 clip to download off NBC.com? I gave up after 40 minutes and I heard others had problems as well.

This link worked for me this morning, though. You can watch it streaming on the website rather than waiting for it to download. This is supposed to be taken down tonight, so check it out while you can. The first part is a little slow, but the action sequence is tremendous.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/31776

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Really happy Iron Man is coming out before too long. Really disappointed they picked Robert Downey Jr., although he certainly fits the role of alcoholic and pathetic Tony Stark.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yeah, if there's one actor that can get into the head of a character like that, it's him. Even if it does give the film an early-90s Marvel movie vibe :eek:

On another note, does anybody read the Batman comic? Picked up Issue #663 yesterday and it was phenomenal. A Joker story that was laid out in a way I've never seen before. It was almost like a novel, with 90 percent words instead of art. Great story, too, maybe one of the better Joker stories ever.

5. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Whoever plays Aunt May is bang-on from the comic book.

God, there is no better comic-book-turned-movie series than this Spider-Man trilogy.

EDIT: I just wish the new Venom suit was just like the comic; black with white.

6. outofplace

Yeah, she's been great in the series. My only problem was the speech she made while moving out of her house in Spider-Man 2, and that was more with the writing than the performance. Way too blatant of a device to push Peter back into the costume, especially if they are going to continue to play May as clueless.

We've seen Harry in the hospital in previous trailers. I guess we know how he got there now.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

A recent issue of Captain America had one incredible speech in it. When I get home, I'll find it and post it here.

8. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

It's funny, I saw Spider-Man the day it came out. Then never ever made it back to the theatre to see No. 2.

I finally watched it a month ago on DVD.

Now I can't wait for No. 3 and I will be there opening day.

9. outofplace

I know a lot of people like No. 2 better than the first one, but not me. The scenes with Peter discovering his powers are outstanding and it was great seeing Spider-Man move and fight on screen for the first time. I kept thinking of all the cartoon versions in which he just looked like a guy who was really strong, fast and agile. The movie version moves more like a spider.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Can Captain America and Iron Man ever be friends again?

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

The second one was great, if for no other reason than the awesome scene of him on the train. However, the crowd carrying him was a bit odd.

And Donna Murphy was in it. Good God! She confirms my reasoning for having such a thing for older women.

[​IMG]

12. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Yeah, I though the scene in the morning in his bedroom when he realized he didn't need glasses etc. was outstanding.

And the way Maguire moves like a spider adds to the whole idea of "SPIDER-Man."

It's just better than Batman, Superman all around.

Sure, some of it has to do with the technological advances of Hollywood. But I think this one stays true to the comic book AND hollywood. Batman(s) are too comic-booky. And Superman came along at a time when special effects weren't all that great. (And the remake was WAY TOO LONG!)

Draft saved Draft deleted