1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running College World Series thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D-Backs Hack, Jun 14, 2008.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I blame soccer ;D

Hurts to say this, but congrats to Fresno State.

2. I especially enjoyed the graphic ESPN put up late in the game showing CWS winners since 1967.

LSU has five. Miami has four. Georgia has one. No one else in that baseball mecca that is the south has one (save Texas, my apologies if you consider that south). None of these other SEC programs that are supposed to be outstanding every year. And, of course as we all know, none from the ACC. And none from the "mid-major" conferences.

Meanwhile, nearly every school that plays D-I baseball out west has one, from the traditional Pac-10 powers (USC, ASU, Arizona, Stanford) to the non-traditional Pac-10 powers (Oregon State) to the likes of Cal-State Fullerton, Pepperdine, and now Fresno State.

But hey, let's keep giving every available at-large berth to those schools east of the Mississippi!

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I wasn't watching... how'd the SEC do?

4. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

man, what a great run by fresno

just an incredible story

5. bueller

bueller Member

At least one FSU now has a championship. ;D

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

That's cold ... true, but cold. Awesome to see Fresno State come back from that devasting Game 1 loss to dominate Georgia twice like that.

7. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

Your argument would be stronger if you hadn't said "nearly every ..."

Using a very narrow definition of "west," here are some schools that don't have one:

Cal
    UC Davis
    UC Irvine
    UCLA
    UC Riverside
    UC Santa Barbara
    Cal Poly
    Cal State Northridge
    UC Sacramento
    Gonzaga
    University of Hawaii, Manoa
    University of Hawaii at Hilo
    Long Beach State
    Loyola Marymount
    Nevada
    UNLV
    Pacific
    University of Portland
    St. Mary’s College (California)
    San Diego
    San Diego State
    San Francisco
    San Jose State
    Santa Clara
    Washington
    Washington State

I could make a much longer list if I expanded my definition of "out west" to be as general as your "east of the Mississippi." You made a good point, but you can't expect to be taken seriously when you say something along the lines of "nearly every" when it's clearly not true.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You forgot Rice, which is both a "southern" team and a mid-major.

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I wanted Mississippi State, too.

(Seriously, congrats to Fresno and UGa both.
    Great baseball tourney in Omaha this year.)

10. Point taken, Terence. :) You are right, I should not have said nearly every West Coast school. Although I think you have to agree my point still stands about the success of a broad swath of West Coast schools at the CWS compared to those in the south.

And Batman, I did say my list of southern states did not include Texas. If you include Texas, then yes, both UT and Rice are on the list.

Draft saved Draft deleted