1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running College Hockey Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by longjumper42, Nov 13, 2006.

1. longjumper42

longjumper42 Member

I figured it was time to talk a little college puck on here...

I'll start with a question...
    stronger conference...WCHA or HE?

I think the majority will choose WCHA, but that's what the question is for...

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

All I know is, UMaine has racked up some pretty impressive wins already this season. They look damn good.

3. longjumper42

longjumper42 Member

Yeah... sweeping ND, that was a big weekend for the black bears.
    But if memory serves me correctly... Maine ususally starts strong and ends weak becuase of injuries, etc. But who knows maybe this year will be more like the 2001 NCAA's...

4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Past five charmions:

2002 Minnesota 32-8-4
    2003 Minnesota 30-8-9
    2004 Denver 27-12-5
    2005 Denver 32-9-2
    2006 Wisconsin 30-10-3

While both conferences are mostly solid top to bottom, WCHA's talent has been spread out to a variety of teams throughout the years (Minnesota, North Dakota, Denver, Wisconsin, CC, UMD) and is better IMHO.
    Maine, BC and BU are the only three Hockey East schools to make major noise in the tournament in recent years.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Speaking of college hockey, they had a fun exhibition game up here a few years back.

It was a game between the U.S. College hockey all-stars and the Canadian schools.

I honestly don't remember the score but it was entertaining as hell. And I do remember my boys getting a kick out of the name Bubba Bernzweig--from U of Michigan.

Funniest damn thing, a hockey playing Jewish Redneck. :)

6. longjumper42

longjumper42 Member

yeah.. HE only has a handful of teams...maybe HE needs to ask holy cross to join.. then they can beat MN again.. HA

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The balance of power has completely shifted west.

The Gophers -- though they twice tied St. Cloud over the weekend -- have just one loss on the season, to Maine on neutral ice if not neutral territory.

Those are your two best teams right now. Minnesota has a ton of upside, playing 9 freshman a night. Maine has the experience squarely in their favor.

We'll learn a bit more about Minnesota and the WCHA in general over the next couple weekends as Minny has Wisconsin for a pair and then the annual Michigan/Michigan State games.

In the WCHA, the Colorado schools will be down a bit, but the overall level of competition in the league is unmatched in college hockey.
    It's fun as hell to watch, unless it's Wisconsin playing Denver. Then it's the trap.

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Hockey East, as previously noted, has some great teams up top. But it also has some suck-ass teams as well.

Is CSTV still showing hockey on Friday nights?

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Yes. They had Denver-Wisco last weekend.

In fact, I had three college hockey games on my TV Friday night.

Not fucking bad...

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Would ESPN do bad to show college hockey? Is ESPNU still afloat?

11. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

sec motherfuckers

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

OK, guys, I'm hooked.

Can someone give me a good website for NCAA hockey?

Draft saved Draft deleted