1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running College Football Head Coaching Changes Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Oct 20, 2010.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And it was not a time when the 49ers covered themselves with glory offensively.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I think Leach is a lock in Boulder.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Boulder is the home of coaching scoundrels, so Leach would fit in. Non-scoundrels (Hawkins) don't succeed there

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I think McCartney did OK though; and wasn't a scoundrel, IIRC.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Nobody recruited South Central better than Promise Keeper McCartney.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

As Matador implied, McCartney might be one of the biggest phonies in the history of college football, perhaps bigger even than Bill Curry.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Actually, Nebraska versus Colorado was the ultimate Phony Bowl back in the day with McCartney on one side of the field and Tom "Don't question why I bring in criminals and give them multiple chances because I'm openly Christian" Osborne.

I have more respect for Switzer, who basically said, "Hey, I'm a fuckin' prison warden but as long as I'm winnin' no one's doin' shit, sucka'!"

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

What does a job like North Texas pay? Might be hard to get someone like Franchione or Bower, eh?

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you read the Denver columnists, they seem to think it will never happen in a million years.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Now Florida carries that crown.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

My first thought when I read BYM's post was that Mark Richt is the modern-day equivalent of Tom Osborne, only without the multiple national championships. Florida = 80s Oklahoma is a good comparison.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The pay only matters in certain situations.

Franchione is in a situation similar to Terry Bowden a few years ago. He wants to get back in to coaching bad enough that he's not going to worry about the money or where he has to go to get a job.

Bower, I don't think, is in any hurry to get back in so money, location and chances to win soon would all be a factor.

Draft saved Draft deleted