1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running College Football Head Coaching Changes Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Oct 20, 2010.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Re: Running College Football Head Coaching Changes

I don't think I could see Leach at North Texas.

Someone on here mentioned earlier that they were surprised Hawkins had a job. I'm surprised Ron Zook still has a job. From day to day I could not tell you what direction that team is going in.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

He was never really the same after his daughter was killed in that car accident.

3. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

In his personal demeanor, I'd agree. He turned real morose after that and he was a disagreeable prick toward the end. But on the field, Southern had their best years under Bower in the 4-5 seasons immediately following that incident. So I don't think that was the cause for his downfall at USM.

Bower may feel like he has something to prove, but I just don't think that's enough to lure him back into coaching. People who've seen him recently say he's mellowed out a lot since moving to the Coast, and I just don't think he's willing to trade all that in for a marginal job like North Texas.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Jeff Jagodzinski rumored for the Minnesota job according to College Football Talk.

That would be a great hire for the Gophers.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

This is a great example why firing your head coach before Halloween is a stupid idea.

Minnesota's rationale for dumping Brewster in October was to "get a head start on hiring his replacement."

That only makes sense if you've already determined that you have no intention of considering active college coaches. Why Minnesota would make that determination is beyond me.

But if Minnesota believes its best option post-Brewster is a guy who got canned from his last college job because he had NFL aspirations then they should have kept Brewster.

If Jagodzinski can risk losing the BC job for a shot at an NFL gig he can surely bail on the U for the same opportunity.

Gopher Football. Feel The Malaise.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Jagodzinski being fired by BC was arguably the most ridiculous firing of the last five years.

Minnesota would be lucky to get a guy who has worked with players like Matt Ryan, Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers.

As far as getting rid of a coach early, Florida almost certainly would have missed out on Urban Meyer if it hadn't fired Ron Zook during the season. It frees up the AD to actually start talking to people, rather than do it all secretly.

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Word in Montreal is that Minnesota may go for Marc Trestman. He's coached the Alouettes to back-to-back Grey Cups, winning one.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

He know he gets four downs but only 11 players? Can't throw that man in motion??

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

He'll be confused by the lack of a 55-yard-line

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

WHAT DO YOU MEAN THAT'S NOT A ROUGE!?!?

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

IIRC, Trestman spent some time in the NFL with the Niners during either the Bill Walsh Era ... or maybe it spilled over into the George Seifert reign.

12. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

Draft saved Draft deleted