1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running College Football Head Coaching Changes Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Re: Running College Football Head Coaching Changes

I have said this for the past 6 months.

2. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

No way. Bower just bought a house on the water in Diamondhead where he can walk out his back door, put the boat out and fish for specks every day for the rest of his life. No chance in hell he gives that up to move to Denton and coach a sad-sack program like UNT.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Gandhi kept his job! Thomas Edison kept his job! Martin Luther King kept his job! And Dan Hawkins sure as hell will keep his job!

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I've often said this - I'm fairly certain even the most atheistic of Colorado fans would gladly deal with a little bit of preaching now and again to go back to the Bill McCartney era.

A classic example of "be careful what you wish for"

As for Dodge, I think he virtually assures another high school coach won't get a Division I job for the next 25 years, at least.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I vaguely remember a quote from the Colorado AD (Mike Bohn?) last fall: "We can't afford to buy him out."

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, but you know he didn't want to go out like he did at Southern Miss, especially since the guy they hired to replace him isn't any better. Maybe they'll hire him back when they finally send Larry "7 wins a year" Fedora packing.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I find it interesting that Franchione hasn't found a job after three or four years away.

I dealt with him a couple times and man, was he a prick, but until he got to Alabama, he was also a pretty damn good coach.

8. Crash

Crash Active Member

To be fair, Minnesota's been more of a basketball school lately than Indiana.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Shouldn't have ever fired Bower in the first place. Mind-spinning ...

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Franchione, Bower and Steve Kragthorpe are three of the names being tossed around for the UNT job.

Whoever comes in will be inheriting a much better situation than the one Dodge was handed. They're about to open a brand new stadium on campus and move out of the dump they've been playing in. They finally have something to recruit to.

There is enough talent in the DFW area to build the foundation for a Sun Belt title team with the second-tier kids that don't sign with UT, A&M, Baylor, TCU, OU, etc.

11. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I could see Fanchione to UNT. If Leach doesn't end up in Minnesota or Colorado, he'd be a home run for UNT

12. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Don't believe Bower's the guy. As it was, he was two years, maybe three years away from retirement when he was shown the door in 2007 at USM.

What those outside the USM program don't understand was that Bower had lost the support of the big-money boys at Southern, who told the AD bluntly that their contributions would dry up if Bower was brought back for 2008. And that's not to mention the full-scale revolt that was underway among the fans, after they'd lost at home to both Rice and Memphis. When only 17,000 showed up for the home finale in '07, the AD saw the writing on the wall, and pushed Bower out.

The fact that Fedora hasn't been any better doesn't change the fact that Bower had just been going through the motions over the previous 3-4 years and it was time for him to go.

Draft saved Draft deleted