1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running college football bowls thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 19, 2009.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Look closer ... Tim Lincecum.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

There's ALWAYS a case, given the band of thugs who control college
    buckets.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Anybody every eat at a "Beef O Brady's"? It sounds somewhat disgusting - are they going for the "beef" version of Hooters?

And what's the deal with the St. Pete Bowl becoming the bowl with the weirdest title sponsor?

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

As described by the good people at EDSBS:

5. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

$5 million for the title sponsorship of the St. Petersburg bowl? Dear fuck, I guess now we know how all these bowls stay in business.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's a standard-issue sports bar ... burgers, wings, nachos, beer, waitresses in referee jerseys. Not bad, but nothing special.

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

How abou that play calling by Pat Hill? 4 consecutive runs into the line? I can see running once or even twice, but by third down you've gotta try something else. A rollout, waggle pass, run off-tackle. something.

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Several times during the Saints game last night, the Superdome message boards tried to hype the R&L Carriers New Orleans Bowl, between Southern Miss and Middle Tennessee. And the whole night - from parking the car, walking the streets, standing outside the stadium and thru the game - I saw exactly four people with USM garb and three with MT stuff, that in a crowd of some 80,000. Not exactly a multitude of support. R&L Carriers, BTW, is some kind of trucking company, I think.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I logged on to see how I was faring in the Bowl Mania thing on ESPN.com - I chose the "confidence" option. Yet, when they asked players to "rank the games according to confidence" how was I to know that "33" implied "most confident" and 1 meant "least confident." Seems "points" might have been more apt than "confidence" in the heading.
    Normally you try and save your "high confidence" games until the end to keep you in the game longer. Which I thought I did.

10. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

What Steak said, except they market themselves as a "family" sports bar.....which isn't a bad thing. Here in rural fly-over land, we've got one just up the road. Food is unspectacular, but very reliable ( I do mean that as a compliment...). 'bout the same as a TGIF or Applebees, with better beer specials, and a local feel (franchise owned by local school teachers). For the money, you can do a LOT worse....

11. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

This makes absolutely zero sense.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Do they bring their students in? [/crossthread]

Draft saved Draft deleted