1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running college bowls thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oz, Dec 19, 2006.

1. WS

WS Member

looks like this one-on-one coverage isn't working too well for Rice.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I've never been as excited to see a bowl game as I have this one between Rice-A-Roni (the Houston treat) and Troy State.

Can I go to the bar now?

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

We don't have Papa John's pizza up here (at least as far as I know) but they are doing a major-league baglick on the sponsor of the East Carolina - South Florida (hi Webby!) game. They've done everything but get a pizza delivered to the booth by the founder - oops, spoke too soon!!!

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

As long as East Carolina gets trucked, I don't care how much they pimp Papa John's.

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061223/FSU03/612230337/1002/SPORTS

Didn't know where to post this, because it didn't deserve a new thread. But FSU's stud freshman tight end Brandon Warren might be transferring home to Tennessee to be near his sick mother. I covered him early in his high school career, and he's a great kid, so I hate to hear about his mom, a really nice lady. He grew up 10 miles from Neyland Stadium but always wanted to be a Nole, and it took a lot of stones for him to sign with them. He almost stayed home for his mom, though, and he might be coming back.

On the field, this wouldn't make things better for the Noles. Kid was going to start playing DE, too, in the spring. That's where his future is, in my opinion. He's an NFL defensive end.

6. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

The Pac-10 is serious about the profile of its member schools. "Research" universities are what they want, not commuter schools like Fresno State and San Jose State. BTW, anyone watching the Spartans win a bowl for the first time since 1990? Dick Tomey is right up there with Jim Grobe and Greg Schiano in the coach of the year conversation. San Jose State was in danger of dropping football a few year ago.

The Pac-10 also wants all of the teams to have their own archrival in the conference. If the conference ever expands, it would add BYU and Utah or Colorado/Colorado State together.

On a side note, how much better would the Big 12 be if it axed Baylor and added TCU instead?

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

A lot. But if memory serves me right, the Texas senators needed to sign off on any state schools switching conferences. One went to Baylor, the other Texas Tech.

Go figure.

8. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

I believe it went down like this:

When it became clear that the SWC was finished, Ann Richards (Baylor grad) and some Texas state senator (Texas Tech grad) threw their weight around and forced any move by Texas and Texas A&M to include the other two schools.

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I need someone to tell me who I should bet on: Hawaii or Arizona State? The Rainbow Whatevers are a 7-point pick.

It's our annual Christmas Eve poker game, and I know this will be some kind of side bet.

10. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

The word bowl is making me cringe right now.

In our neck of the woods Time Warner is dropping Fox on January 1. :mad:

Yep. I'm looking for some invites guys and girls.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Hawaii's basically getting a home game out of this, but don't worry about the spread.

Both teams have great offenses but suck defensively; it's like the USFL all over again. Take the over. :D At the very least, it should be the most entertaining game of bowl season.

12. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

It will also be a long-ass game on Christmas Eve when we all want to get out as early as possible. It's bad enough I'm going to have to hang around to wait for this game to begin with.

Draft saved Draft deleted