1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running college bowls thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oz, Dec 19, 2006.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Good call shotty, although he said that his players were telling him to make those calls at the end of the game.

But he still followed through on it.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

And bottom line, not many coaches would have, especially in those situations. It's why I love to watch college games so much -- NFL coaches very rarely ever attempt plays like that, because they're thinking about their job.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Same thing also happened in the Sun Bowl. Oregon State down 38-37, coach sends out the PAT team but Mizzou challenges the call. During the TO the players convince the coach to go for two. He agrees, Oregon State scores, goes ahead.

And then easily defends the desperation hook-and-lateral play by not collapsing four guys in the first player to catch the ball.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Finally watching the Fox telecast of the Sugar Bowl after being there Wednesday night. Had to rewind the DVD after this:

"The Allstate Sugar Bowl on Fox is sponsored by Allstate. Are you in good hands?"

Not if you live in Louisiana and bought Allstate insurance before Katrina and Rita.

I'm disappointed I didn't see any good stories about that, including in my paper. A news writer said to expect one, but apparently it never happened.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Friend of mine has quite the Allstate story. She had renters insurance, moved, told her agent, got mail from said agent at her new place, new place burns down, Allstate would only cover 10 percent of her losses because they said she hadn't told her agent she moved. Course the mail she got from the agent at her new place burned, so she lacks proof now that she told him.

She's suing, and spending a lot of time telling people that they're not in good hands with Allstate (her words, not mine).

6. Chef

Chef Active Member

(without digging through the last 20 pages)

Did I hear somewhere that JaMarcus Russell weighed 15 pounds or some bizarre weight at birth?

7. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

That was mentioned during the broadcast. He owes his mom a new car for that alone.

8. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I think you've got Russell confused with their mammoth offensive lineman.

9. Johnny Dangerously

You might be thinking about Herman Johnson, an LSU offensive lineman who at one time was (and maybe still is) believed to be the largest baby born in Louisiana. Then again, maybe JaMarcus was that big as well. He was born in Alabama.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I heard it was Russell, and he was 15 pounds and change.

A friend of mine told me his wife heard this on the broadcast as well, and could only say, "Oh my!"

That's a large baby.

11. Johnny Dangerously

I'll ask him when he has his presser to announce he's going pro.

Draft saved Draft deleted