1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running College Bowl Selection Argument/Outrage/Discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MertWindu, Dec 3, 2006.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

Herbstreit kind of lost me tonight when he said you can't penalize Michigan because its conference was down this year. If that's the case, then why isn't Boise State playing for the title.

Boise gets penalized because of the level of competition in its conference.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Of course, there were no camcorders in the '70s.

We had those Super-8 home movies.

3. printdust

printdust New Member

Inky, I TOTALLY AGREE. So bad that my kid, 12, said the same thing.

An example of what happens when one entity tries to do too much.

4. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Wisconsin vs. Arkansas should be a hell of a game. If it becomes a blowout either way, it will serve as a proxy for the UF-UM argument.

5. printdust

printdust New Member

By the way, the LAT leak spurred this vision of how someone in LA might have been thinking, "shit, we don't have the NFL and we have to wait all day to do something with this info? Screw FOX."

6. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

And NBC used it on its pregame show, about 5 minutes or so before FOX had their show ... that was a nice bitch slap.

7. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

Didn't Arizona beat Cal?

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Florida played 10 bowl teams in 13 games? Holy fuck.

9. goose

goose Member

Hypothetical question: Say Michigan beats Ohio State. Do the same strength of schedule arguments apply to the Buckeyes against Florida? You can certainly argue Michigan's nonconference schedule was better than OSU's, and Michigan also has the win over Wisconsin. My hunch is Ohio State still stays No. 2.

Obviously, none of it matters now. But if you'd put a one-loss Ohio State team ahead of Florida, the strength of schedule argument goes out the window. For my money, Michigan's the No. 2 team, rematch or not.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Serious question. There was a throwaway graf in a Freep story today that while the Motor City Bowl wanted to take an Alabama or Minnesota, it was bound by NCAA rules to take Middle Tennessee.
    WHy? The Sunbelt didnt have a tie-in with the Motor City Bowl.

11. Major Batman

Major Batman Member

A bowl can't take a 6-6 team as an at large until all the 7-5 or better teams are placed. Hence, Middle Tennessee over Arizona, Kansas, Washington State, etc.

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

The Big East has some screwy tie-ins.

The Meineke Car Care Bowl actually is a Big East bowl, but the bowl committee has the choice of taking Navy as well. In addition, Notre Dame can snag the Gator Bowl from the Big East. That might apply to any Big East bowl for the Irish, but I'm not sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted