1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Christmas Emergency thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flying Headbutt, Dec 24, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Well, this was an interesting Christmas.

Christmas Eve afternoon, my aunt--the one I'm still mad at for pulling a drunk power trip on Thanksgiving, it's in the archives on 21's great thread about her mom with lopsided tits--calls and says she's feeling sick and may not be able to join us for the drive to my parents' house. While I'm still mad at her, I don't wish illness upon her and tell her I hope she feels better.

Late last night, my wife says she's feeling rundown and her throat is scratchy. Probably just a combination of a long stressful day and allergies. Except at 4 am, she gets up to go to the bathroom. I say "How are you feeling?" She says "You don't want to know." Sore throat, head-to-toe body aches and everything else in between.

I say "Can you go tomorrow?" She says "Absolutely not." we spend the next hour looking for antibiotics she might have laying around and any other stuff we can find to try and ward off her illness.

At 8 am--less than three hours after I fell asleep--my aunt calls and says she's out too. I call my mom and tell her I'm coming up by myself, but she's going to have to wait b/c I'm going to sleep in b/c everyone in the damn world is sick.

So instead of three people and all our presents cramming into my car, it was me and the XM. I made it to home and back in 12 1/2 hours. I didn't like not being with my wife for the first time since we moved in together--she said something about me losing brownie points last night--but she spent the day glued to the couch. So I think I made the best out of a crappy situation.

My mom said she was willing to push "Christmas" back to this weekend, but I know better and I know she looks at Christmas as her holiday to host. And she would have been sad if there was no one to host for (I love my sister dearly but she lives a mile away, my mom "hosts" her every night). And I felt better having seen my family like usual, even for a far briefer period than normal.

And still I'm up. Must catch up on sleep.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Sometimes you've just got to make mom happy, sir.

Draft saved Draft deleted