1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Christmas Emergency thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flying Headbutt, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

So the dinner is eaten, I'm all dolled up for church, which starts in a half-hour, and the presents are wrapped. In fact, the last of the wrapping that happened a bit ago is where my problem began here began. I'm putting the final touches of awkwardly folded paper together in what used to be my sister's room. She's staying there for a few days, and over in her bag I spy some books. One of those books is "Heat" by Mike Lupica. At first she can't figure out why I'm appalled. Then she confesses that, as an esol teacher (english as a second language) she's getting it so her kids have a sports book to read that'll be easy but get them reading. Perhaps I should have titled this thread the failure of our education system, but, this is my sister. Either way, it almost ruined Christmas here tonight, hehe.

Anyway, I know some of you will have more legitimate Christmas emergencies (missing presents, broken ones, hopefully stuff that's not really all that bad!) that'll be downright fun for others of us to read. So have at it!

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

There are far better easy sports books [/formerSpedteacher]

My emergency is that I have no beer. I got to the store too late to buy it, and I didn't get to the store today to get some, so I'm stuck with raspberry vodka. sigh.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No emergency, plenty of booze and beer, red beans and rice in the crock pot... friends coming over...

And at least it was Loopy. It could have been Fab Five Reasons to have Tuesdays One at a Time...

4. pallister

pallister Guest

I'm trying to decide which is less pathetic: going home to have a few drinks by myself or going to a bar and having a few drinks with the other losers who have nothing better to do.

5. I've got some Yuengling and Heinaken in the fridge along with the 5 clears to make some long island iced teas. Anyone who wants is more than welcome to join me for a few drinks.

6. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

We had a minor Christmas emergency a couple hours ago, when my mother-in-law dropped the bombshell of, "Who's going to church with me at 11?," to which we all stood and looked at each other dumbfounded, because we thought we were in the clear.

She played the, "I'm not opposed to going alone" card, which I think was supposed to induce a guilt trip and cause all of us to volunteer to go. But no one took the bait. I think she might go alone.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Heathen!

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

You tease me so. If you have Yuengling, you're on the wrong side of the country to share with me. . .

9. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

You're damn right. :D

<i>Somethin' 'bout the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit 'bout to get thrown ...</i>

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm thirsty and lazy. Which will win out might be a close call. ...

11. pallister

pallister Guest

Depends on how far the fridge is.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Dude. If you were here right now -- and you'd have to be because I'm lazy (remember? -- I'd give you a beer. I'm using my brother's room for a computer room and forgot I put some beer in his fridge a couple days ago. A little turn in the chair and push of his Star Wars action figures -- he's 18 fucking years old ... really, Star Wars action figures? -- and I've got a cold one.

This one's for you, Pallister. And the next two to follow. ...

Draft saved Draft deleted