1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Chris Rock Invitational (CB4, errr, CBI) thread: The battle for 98th!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, Mar 15, 2010.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Well, if tickets were $75.67 apiece, GW met its $60,000 guarantee.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I heard rumblings that the CBI was accepting less than $60K late in the game because no one wanted to pay that guarantee, not even schools that could absorb the loss. The school I cover was never in the running to host, so I don't know if that's true or not.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

That wouldn't even fill IUPUI's gym, and it's the only one in the NCAA in which the pool in the same building has four times the capacity.

IUPUI would have to charge $60 a ticket and sell out to break even. Must be why it has to travel to Hofstra. Which, come to think of it, might be more expensive than paying to host the damn game.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

It wouldn't even completely fill Campbell's old gym.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

IUPUI 74, Hofstra 60. Suck it, Pride! Man, that "CBI quarterfinalist" banner-raising is going to be an emotional moment at next season's home opener.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Oregon State got run out of its own gym by Boston U. Terriers had seven threes in the first half alone and finished with 12.
    Weird game - no fouls called in the first eight minutes. Makes me think the Pac 10 might not last long in the Big Dance.

7. doctorx

doctorx Member

If you're in a CBI pool, you have a gambling problem.

8. VictoryGallop

VictoryGallop Member

Seems to me the only benefit to a 96-team NCAA field is useless tournaments like the CBI would go away ...

Oh, and all of you who were spouting off that Utah State couldn't beat an SEC team ... no doubt you thought the same about Murray State.

9. billikens

billikens Member

Billikens rally to force OT, then double OT, then pull out a win over the mighty Phoenix of D-1 powerhouse University of Wisconsin-Green Bay.

4,200 people in attendance. Not great, but not bad for a meaningless tournament no one I brag to has ever heard of.

Onto the semifinals and a date with Princeton. Two wins away from a CBI Championship.

10. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

It's actually three wins to a title. The championship is best-of-3.

11. billikens

billikens Member

are you flipping kidding me?

Of course it's 3 wins. A best 2 out of 3 makes total sense in college basketball. Because, for the integrity of the tournament, you'd want to make sure the winner of the CBI truly is the best team, and not some fluke that won it with a lucky night.

All the same, thats good to know. Thanks for the info.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Both teams get at least one home game in the finals series. Higher seed gets the third game.

Draft saved Draft deleted