1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Chris Rock Invitational (CB4, errr, CBI) thread: The battle for 98th!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, Mar 15, 2010.

1. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Re: Running Chris Rock Invitational (CB4, errr, CB1) thread: The battle for 98th!!!

Utah State would have been the third or fourth best team in the SEC this year. Yes, the SEC was down that much

2. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Re: Running Chris Rock Invitational (CB4, errr, CB1) thread: The battle for 98th!!!

I want to be a fan of any conference with "West" in the name and NJIT as a member.

3. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Re: Running Chris Rock Invitational (CB4, errr, CB1) thread: The battle for 98th

You're very emotional about this.

I'm less so as I have no attachment to any of these teams, but I suppose the answer is, "no, I don't know this."

But I watch my share of basketball games — again, have you seen Utah State play? — and I read the RPI and fuck anybody who wants to keep a Utah State or Northern Iowa out when they do the prescribed things to get into what is supposed to be an all-inclusive tournament. Lord knows if their RPI wasn't high enough you'd cite that as the reason for them being out.

The NCAA uses a rankings system as a guide to seed this thing and Utah State sits at 30 in the damn thing, so guess what? They're in ... and should probably be in more comfortably than what appears to be the bottom 12 seed.

Despite playing in the ACC, Virginia Tech's SOS was 30-plus spots worse than Utah State (which has cost Greenberg's teams before ... sorry Seth, play somebody) and neither Mississippi State (lost to Rider and played a ridiculously horrible non-conference schedule, though it wasn't their fault UCLA sucked) nor Illinois (lost six of its last eight and also took spills to Bradley and Georgia) deserve any sympathy.

I'll take a scrappy WAC team over an overbloated and underachieving BCS team any day. It's kind of what the tourney is built on.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Um, no I am NOT emotional about this - I'm tired of the "little guy" arguments for teams that played absolutely nobody, like Utah State.

Did you look at Utah State's non-conference schedule?

No, they DIDN'T do the prescribed things they are supposed to do. They played nobody and lost four or five games while playing nobody.

Oh I forgot, they beat BYU...... ::)

And you do know that RPI is a number that the committee has downgraded in terms of its actual importance because the formula can be so easily manipulated - and was for awhile by teams in the MVC -- it is almost a meaningless number any more.

5. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

I was assuming you were emotional through your use of terse phrasing, all-capital letters and emoticons. Perhaps I am not reading you right. No matter ... RPI has been de-emphasized, granted, but is still used and when a team gets to No. 30, it's a pretty fair testament to its strength.

You also have to look at that Utah State won 17 of its last 18 games and that's gotta mean something, even in the 10th-rated conference in America. And again, have you watched the team play? I am assuming the committee did and saw the same thing I have — it's a good team. It deserves a bid.

BTW, you're not actually building a case for Illinois, Virginia Tech or Mississippi State other than that "they'd beat Utah State." How would you know they'd beat Utah State when you've never seen Utah State play?

You'd have a better case against UTEP.

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

And Oregon State used last year's CBI title as a springboard for this season ... to make another run in the CBI.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Two years ago Oregon State was winless in the Pac-10, 6-25 overall and did not have a win over a team that was a Division I member for more than 10 years.

This year it finished fifth in the Pac-10, won more league and overall games, and increased attendance by about 1,500 per game.

So I'd say the 2009 CBI did help.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Re: Running Chris Rock Invitational (CB4, errr, CB1) thread: The battle for 98th

Given that most of the players joined the program when OSU was nosediving in Jay John's last years, that they are actually competitive again is a small miracle.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Isn't that the team that Obama's brother or some shit like that coaches?

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

brother-in-law

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So it's agreed then. The CBI and CIT are the college basketball equivalent of taking a 300-pound drunk chick home from the bar.

Draft saved Draft deleted