1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Chris Rock Invitational (CB4, errr, CBI) thread: The battle for 98th!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, Mar 15, 2010.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

So, who you got in the huge first round matchup between IUPUI and Hofstra?

Are they serious with this?

2. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Re: Running Chris Rock Invitational (CB4, errr, CB1) thread: The battle for 98th!!!

mini rant that has nothing to do with this thread: I hate the notion that the winner of the NIT is playing to be the 66th best team in the country! These dog shit teams like Arkansas-Pine Bluff would go winless versus a Big 12/SEC/Big East/ACC schedule. UAPB's best victory comes over #227 Texas Southern.

3. zagoshe

Re: Running Chris Rock Invitational (CB4, errr, CB1) thread: The battle for 98th!!!

I agree with that - like Jay Bilas said, if they are trying to get the best 34 at-large teams, they ain't doing it when they put somone like Utah State in because Utah State ain't better than Miss State, Illinois or Virginia Tech.

4. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

FWIW, Utah State has a higher RPI than all three teams and a better non-conference win (BYU) than Miss State and Va Tech.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Re: Running Chris Rock Invitational (CB4, errr, CB1) thread: The battle for 98th

Dude, tread lightly. This is the SJ Invitational. Its got VCU, Hofstra and Indiana State in the field.

When Moddy, BYH and Bubbler go to CBI war, a point is all that you can score. (Score no more, score no more)

[​IMG]

(Don't worry, I have no idea what a Frankie Goes To Hollywood video has to do with any of this either.)

6. zagoshe

And none of that has a fucking thing to do with who is the BEST team of the three because Utah State wouldn't have even 20 wins if it were in the ACC or SEC and more importantly, Utah State wouldn't beat either team.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Oregon State Beavers back to defend their championship. Gill will be rocking Wednesday.
    They need to win the thing to finish with a winning record.

8. Petrie

Petrie Guest

IIRC, they won it last year to finish .500?

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Yeah - it's funny, there is a picture of the team after winning it and a couple of the players are flashing the #1 sign.
    I don't have a problem with these tourneys at all - they are the equivalent of the GMAC and New Mexico bowls. The players get to play some more (even if it is finals week), and at least with the Beavers, I know the fans aren't ready for the season to end.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I thought you had to have a winning record to make any of these tournaments.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

All of a sudden I'm very interested in the CBI.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Is this the one VCU is in, or is it the CI.T or whatever? My own tournament - the PGA. Please Go Away. If you aren't in the NCAA (the real party) or the NIT (the kids' table), who gives a flying shit?

Just as there are too many bowls, there are now too many postseason tournaments.

Is this the one where the final is a best two-of-three? Does it end before June?

PGA.

Draft saved Draft deleted