1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running CFB Playoff Debate Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Nov 6, 2017.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I think 8 of the current Top 10 are on the road this week. I do not assume Clemson wins at South Carolina. Same with Ga at Ga Tech.
    Chaos is possible.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

The basketball referee "make up call" scenario:

• Auburn beats Alabama and Georgia, wins SEC, gets in.
    • Miami beats Clemson, gets in.
    • Oklahoma wins out, gets in.
    • Ohio State wins out, wins Big 10 title ... but gets left out for 11-1 Alabama.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That’s a great scenario, Coco. And the Buckeyes have the same kind of embarrassing loss that doomed Penn State in 2016.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Ohio State's loss to Iowa is looking worse and worse each week (and yes, I'm an Iowa graduate).

The more I see Wisconsin, the more I like their team ... but still not sure if Bucky can beat the Buckeyes when the latter are on their game.

5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Yeah I think Miami stays in if it loses to Clemson in that scenario, and Ohio State sneaks in if Miami wins the ACC.

To throw in another wrinkle to that scenario, what if it is Bama and Georgia in the SEC title game and the Bulldogs (please dear God I don't ask for much) pull off the upset? Then you could potentially have:

12-1 Clemson (conference champ)
    12-1 Oklahoma (conference champ)
    12-1 Georgia (conference champ)
    12-1 Bama
    12-1 Miami
    11-2 Ohio State (conference champ)

Who do you pick from those final three?

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Probably Alabama gets picked. If there are five one-loss teams, the two loss team has no shot.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

"Notre Dame." - Every Single Notre Dame Alum

Batman, franticscribe and TyWebb like this.
  8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The best Miami can go is 11-1. Their game vs. Arkansas State was canceled because of the hurricane.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I always think "best win-worst loss" is a good measure. (Potential losses/wins in parenthesis)
    What is interesting will be seeing how the next two weeks will impact the perception of the various teams. Wisconsin was trucked by Ohio State in the conference title game. The final scores will likely be significant.
    I think the SEC and ACC champs are in for sure. I don't know if TCU beating Oklahoma in the Big 12 title game would be a guarantee. If either Big 10 title game team loses this week, a win in the title game might not be enough.
    I think it is highly unlikely we will end up with fewer than three conferences represented in the playoff.
    Bama - (Auburn)/(Auburn)
    Clemson - Auburn-(Miami)/Syracuse on the road
    Miami - Notre Dame(Clemson)/Clemson in ACC title game
    Oklahoma - Ohio State (TCUx2)/Iowa State at home
    TCU - (Oklahoma)/Iowa State on road
    Wisconsin - (Ohio State)/(at Minnesota)
    Auburn- (Alabama)/at LSU
    Georgia (Bama/Auburn)/at Auburn
    Ohio State (Wisc)/at Iowa

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Getting deep in the reeds there Dan. Go to basics. Principle 1. Lack of losses, that is undefeated beats one-loss and so on down the line. 2. Win conference title game (why I think you're underrating TCU if they beat Oklahoma again. After that, it's a matter of taste (don't laugh, when I covered Nancy-Tonya in Lillehammer, the senior world figure skating judge told me that's what it came down to in close calls).

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

My preference would be for four conference champs, but if there is an upset this week it is going to get interesting and margins will matter.

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

How would the judge evaluate taste?

Draft saved Draft deleted