1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running CFB Playoff Debate Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

That’s why the next round of conference realignment is going to be way different. It didn’t matter if Rutgers was drawing big ratings in New York as long as the Big Ten Network got onto cable systems people were paying for it whether they watched or not. That’s an outdated business model now. The teams that actually draw eyeballs are the desirable ones. 800,000 dedicated fans in West Virginia (especially if a significant percentage of them are willing to pay for a streaming service) is now more important than 500,000 in New York or DC.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Me too. But really, the secret to marketing pretty much anything is getting people on the morning shows to talk about them. I don't see a Cleveland station doing a playoff party kitchen segment if it's another Bama/Clemson game.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Speaking of Fort Hays State Football......undefeated, #1 seed in their region, and host a D2 playoff game Next Saturday.
    Holy Balls, that town can throw a party.

Jake_Taylor likes this.
  4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Yep. Tide hurt by injuries on defense, but Clemson is off kilter.

5. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I dunno Alabama's OL is hurting too. They got whipped at times by Mississippi State. Clemson's DL (and Auburn's for that matter) are better.

To be honest, there's as good a chance the Crimson Tide will be playing out the string in the Sugar Bowl. Maybe Clemson will join them there.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Beatdown in the Bayou.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

They're still recovering from Octoberfest.

Chef2 likes this.
  8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The Sugar Bowl is one of the semifinals this year, so that meeting would have to take place in the Orange Bowl.

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

It’s the week before Thanksgiving and there is still a shit-ton of crucial football games left. Would it be better with eight?

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Of course. Instead of the best teams playing for a playoff spot, you have the 11th- and 12th-best teams trying to horn their way in.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Two games next weekend have my attention: Clemson at South Carolina and Georgia at Georgia Tech. In both cases, the home team figures to be a slight underdog motivated by the desire not just to beat the hated rival but to ruin said rival's playoff chances.
    Gotta wonder if both games have been so consequential in the same year before.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Don’t know about both, but two years ago Clemson went to South Carolina and them there SECess ... ah shit, I ain’t doing that ... them there Gamecocks made it helluva more of a game than it should have been. Cost me a gallon of homebrew and a 12-pack of Lone Star.

tapintoamerica likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted