1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running CFB Playoff Debate Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Nov 6, 2017.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I’m having a hard time keeping track of my perspicacity on multiple “College Football Week X” threads, so I thought I’d create this one for all CFB playoff-related discussions. Hope you enjoy ... and you better have Clemson in your final four.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Three-loss Clemson?

3. doctorquant

They could survive two ... the committee would forgive losses to Syracuse and South Carolina.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

If you're the Big XII, do you care who wins the rest of the way as long as Saturday's TCU-OU winner keeps on rolling? Or does the name brand thing play into your fears, prompting a silent prayer for the Sooners?

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don’t think it’s name brand. I think the reason OU would have a leg up on other conference champions is that they won at Ohio State. TCU doesn’t look too good in non-con comparison to, say, Clemson.

6. tapintoamerica

True. That win in the Horseshoe is one of the big ones nationally. Biggest probably Ga winning at ND.

7. doctorquant

Big 12 seems to be in a bit of a pickle. Whoever wins Saturday will, in all likelihood, have to win again in the championship rematch. Otherwise no Big 12 playoff spot.

8. tapintoamerica

Yep. Elimination game.
    At this point, the conference would love to expel Iowa State.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  9. tapintoamerica

The creation of the playoff and the difference between qualification and exclusion means, to most Power 5 schools, a difference of $400,000 per school. That's relatively small in a budget of tens of millions annually, but it's cash you can use to make debt-service payments on facilities, for example. Hard not to think of that cash as something you depend on.

And that's why the conspiracy theories will go into overdrive in cases in which a no-chance-for-playoff team upends the playoff-bound favorite and costs everybody -- including itself -- $400,000.

Didn't take long for the NC State coach to drop a few hints after his team lost to Clemson the other day.

10. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Too soon. /crossthread

doctorquant likes this.
  11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Any rankings set forth by the CFP committee before the final one is complete and utter bullshit and a waste of bandwidth and newsprint.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've always felt it would be better if they put out a 10 team "watch list" in alphabetical order like the awards committees do. The CFP jams themselves up by putting them in order making the inevitable last week switcheroo look (ESPN)-spired.

Draft saved Draft deleted