1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running CFB National Signing Day Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KevinmH9, Feb 4, 2009.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That's going too far the other way.

Of course they're not going to be 100%. Some kids are falling through the cracks at this very moment; others are lacking the inner attributes necessary to work harder at the next level.

But what was the case before the days of recruiting as a coverage area? Did Johnny Touchdown show up at Mississippi in August, start breaking off 80-yard runs at practice, and then the writers look up what he did in high school?

I like this way better, to be honest. As a fan, I like having an idea of what's coming.

Perhaps it's gotten TOO crazy, but everything gets a little TOO crazy these days.

2. micke77

micke77 Member

although i largely hate National Signing Day, I will say this about the ongoing mania surrounding it: it's gotten SIDs off of their asses to get some decent bios out on these guys. once upon a time, they wouldn't have much statistical or award info and what they did have was spotty and inaccurate. now, with everybody trying to one up the next guy, the biographical sketches on these recruits now border on being more detailed than the regular season bios on veterans. at least it is that way with the D-I school we cover. the stuff they had on each and every one of these recruits was extremely good and kept us from chasing down their prep coaches or whoever for additional details. so in that respect, it's good.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It is accepted NFL belief, supported by evidence, that defensive linemen need two-three seasons to grow physically and technically into the position.
    It has to, as a matter of physiology, go at least double for high school linemen. And, since top 150 recruited linemen haven't really NEEDED to have superior technique, I'd say it's at least triple.
    Doesn't mean the top recruits aren't the best high school players-just that at the non-skill positions (sarcasm there), there's room for change once that all get to college.
    There are people who look at the grapes on the vine and tell you how good the wine will taste in 5 years. Sometimes they're right, too. But only sometimes.

4. micke77

micke77 Member

Go to the CollegeFootballNews.com Web site. they have an interesting piece about how silly all of this national signing day and recruiting hoopa has become, mostly pushed by grownups who get all wrapped up in 17-18 year olds who are going to make Jock Sniff U. a winner in the next four years.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

After you post this for the 200th time, it is prima facie evidence you do give a fuck, all other blathering to the contrary.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

What he said.

7. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

What I said.

8. JackReacher

Apples and oranges, but congrats!

9. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

That's sort of how it works, isn't it? He likes apples. They like oranges. He has 22,000 posts on a message board. I hope it's because he enjoys spending that much time here. They enjoy following football with the same type of devotion. I doubt either has much of a "life" beyond that, but in his case it's OK, right? At least they're spending their leisure time doing something they like. I know a lot of journalists who don't have any life and spend most of their free time here. What's sadder? Maybe we can just call it even? Of course we can't. We're superior.

I know his schtick has a following here, but it's as tired and lame as the way he sees the people he loves to rip.

10. JackReacher

I'm not in the business of defending anyone on here. However, I agree with his overall point.

That said, it's one of the most drawn-out arguments on this board. Rinse, repeat.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Mitch Albom is above signing day, but waited until everyone else complained about it to write a column.

http://www.freep.com/article/20090208/COL01/902080387/1082/Hey++it+s+high+school+--+not+the+Super+Bowl

Ughh....

"I lasted five minutes at his event, left, went to the school library, and found a kid going to the same university on an academic scholarship, all alone, doing homework."

I'm sure you did, Mitch. I'm sure you did.

Draft saved Draft deleted