1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Canadian journalism cuts thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flash, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

Re: 600 to go in Canada -- Sun Media

Son. Of. A. Bitch.

He has torn the heart out of so many people. PKP doesn't deserve to sleep at night.

Cocksuckin' motherfuckin' asshole.

2. Canuck Pappy

Canuck Pappy Member

From what I hear, yes he was.
    He's been at the Observer since the 1970s. He's a familiar face at OHL rinks whenever the Sting come to town. Nice guy to talk to.

3. Flash

Flash Guest

Pappy, if you can, what's it like for those left behind?

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I don't read the Toronto Sun all that much but it seems to me it went straight downhill after Quebecor took over.

Whether you agreed with their politics or columnists or not, as an indie they were a feisty bunch. The Sun was started by a bunch of newspaper people after the Toronto Telegram folded.

At the time people gave them six months.--that was over 30 years ago.

5. Canuck Pappy

Canuck Pappy Member

As you would expect shell-shocked. We knew something was coming, but not to this extent (or at this time). Newsrooms that are already small are a lot smaller. We've had layoffs every couple years since 1999.
    To quote Tony Soprano, "what'ca going to do."

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Almost 40, actually. It was the autumn of 1971.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Were you even alive in '71? :)

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update. Had a run-in with Dave a few years back at a game in Sarnia but damn, hate to see anyone lose their job, especially at this time of year. He was a veteran of the OHL beat and certainly a guy you could count on seeing at the Ciccarelli Dome.

9. EE94

EE94 Guest

out of curiousity, why would you assume that most people on this thread wouldn't know this?

10. RagingCanuck

RagingCanuck Guest

We escaped any cuts at our little weekly, but a couple up the road in the chain lost some editorial staff. I have to think there would have been revolts here if they cut anyone from us, as we're running at full capacity as it is, and have been growing steadily over the past couple of years.
    One of the little notes we got in our pep talk: 2009 Christmas Bonus, already canceled. Yay!

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

I was, in fact. Not that I remember the Tely, but at one time I did own a copy of the final edition. It might still be in a box in the basement for all I know.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

out of curiousity, why would you assume that only Canuckistanians are reading this thread? :p ;) :D
    (yes, you are gently being made fun of :) )

Draft saved Draft deleted