1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running British Open thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jul 14, 2013.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I've always been skeptical, too ... but wouldn't you think we'd have heard about some of this behavior by now? He might just be a helluva nice guy who's been lucky as shit and he knows it.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

He's two shots back. That qualifies as "done"?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Never won a major that he wasn't leading after three rounds. 14-1 when he is, ohfer when he isn't.

4. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Most of the same people who cry Phony Phil! give Tiger a pass, even though Phil has a far better course demeanor, is a much better quote and appears to be far more accommodating.

Also, if this were a USGA event, people would be complaining about how no one is under par, the rough is too long, the greens are baked out and its no fun watching the best in the world hack their way home. All of which is to say: I love championship golf and I'll be pulling for Westwood tomorrow.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

He's certainly not done, and there's a first time for everything, just like he was 14-0 going into the final round of the 2010 PGA.

Still, he's gotten worse each day. The pressure is going to be on Westwood, no doubt, but I can certainly see Tiger pulling it out.

6. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

I think Tiger does it tomorrow. He'll shoot 70 and others will falter. This one feels different than recent failures. He's putting much better.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He isn't a closer. No coffee for him.

8. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Not everybody famous has to be an asshole. Saw one of those E True Hollywood stories or some other such bio on John Candy once. Said he could haven't been a nicer guy. Good example: When making Only The Lonely, he was clearly the star and therefore had the biggest trailer. When he saw how small Maureen O'Hara's trailer was, he insisted on switching with her.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Difference is that the USGA deliberately goes out of its way to make the course difficult as possible every year. Almost as if they hate professional golfers.

That's not the case at the British Open. They don't trick up the course.

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I get that Tiger's never won when trailing so that mean's he's done.

But then...

Westwood's never won a major, even when leading after 54 holes, so he's done. Hunter Mahan's never won a major so he's done. I guess it's Scott and Stevie for the victory then, since they've already won a major this year when trailing. But that was just by 1. So Scott's never won a major when trailing by more than 1 shot. Three out? Done.

Then it's Cabrera. He has come back from four down before to win a major, the 07 Open. So he wins this one, because nothing can happen in sports unless it's happened before.

11. If he's going to come from behind tomorrow's the day. I have NO faith in Westwood to pull it out.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Big deal. That's still more majors than anyone other than Jack. Who gives a shit whether he wins from in front or behind?

Draft saved Draft deleted