1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running British Open thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jul 14, 2013.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Back at awesome Muirfield for the first time in 11 years, when Tiger was in position for the calendar-year Grand Slam before being swept out in a third-round 81 in a brutal storm.

Wet spring, dry summer means it's going to be fast and firm, sort of like 2006 at Hoylake when Tiger went 18 under to win by five.

Always a fun tournament because the R&A doesn't give a rip about par. Here's the course. Here's the weather. Go play.

2. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Mickelson wins the warmup tourney over there today, but only one left-handed player has ever won The Open Championship... Sir Bob Charles in 1963.

3. My favorite tourney .. bar none.

One of my first, favorite golf clubs was a Bob Charles 7 Wood.

Tiger ... Top 5 10 or the Field?

I think he'll be a non-factor and might finish top 15. I suspect his elbow will still be an issue and that will only compound his driving woes

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

My money's on Andy Murray.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I love watching the Open because its no longer about pristine conditions where everyone is whining about a spike mark; also think about how there are so few "rulings" and "free drops" at the Open compared to a PGA event.

In '02, Tiger was definitely at his peak and it was a damn shame to see it come to an end due entirely to Mother Nature.

Who's the next Ben Curtis? Sneds?

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

What I love about the Open is the R&A doesn't try to trick up the course the way the USGA does. They don't grow the rough extra long or put in an extra tree or bunker just for the hell of it.

If the weather is wet, dry, windy, whatever, that's the way the course plays. Winning score could be 10-under or 5-over, depending on the weather.

My early prediction is the winner will be a Euro who has never before won a major.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The R&A paired Woods with Graeme McDowell and Oosthuizen, and Mickelson with McElroy. And just as the USGA did at our Open, it has created a big hitters-only threesome of Bubba Watson, Dustin Johnson and Nicolas Colsaerts. Give the people what they want, I guess.
    The last tee time on Thursday and Friday is 4:13 p.m. local time. Man, they are way north up there.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Played Muirfield about 15 years ago on a day when the wind was 35 mph all day; hardest golf course I've ever seen and, as I remember it, might have been the least fun I've ever had playing 18 holes. Go get 'em, boys.

9. Key

Key Well-Known Member

The most recent Open at Muirfield was pretty fun. Terrible weather on Saturday, giving the morning guys a chance to shoot up the leaderboard simply by shooting par. Great pic - I can't find it - of Shigeki Maruyama crouching behind a sign or structure, seeking relief from the rain.

Then Sunday brought a huge charge by Gary Evans, including a crazy bit in which he lost his ball on a par 5 only to sink a long putt to save either par or bogey. Crowd went nuts. Evans, though, finished one shot out of the three-man playoff that Els won.

10. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Muirfield still does not allow women as members, right?

Also, I look forward to hearing the high-pitched tones of Admiral Ironbladder, Ivor Robson.

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

You are correct.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Here's all you need to know when picking a winner for Muirfield: 13 men have won Opens there. All but two are in the Hall of Fame, including the last seven. Dating back from 2002, the winners at Muirfield are Els, Faldo, Faldo, T. Watson, Trevino, Nicklaus, Player, Henry Cotton, Alfred Perry, Walter Hagen, Ted Ray, James Braid, Braid again, Harry Vardon and Harold Hilton. Only Perry and Ray are not in the Hall of Fame and Ray probably should be.
    Guys like Ben Curtis, Todd Hamilton, Ian Baker-Finch and Justin Leonard can wait for another course in the rotation. Nobody wins at Muirfield except the best of the best.

Draft saved Draft deleted