1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running bowl thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mystery Meat II, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Colin Dunlap

Colin Dunlap Member

The Gator Bowl not naming the ACC team yet has ruined my day.
    If it is Florida State, why don't they just make the announcement?
    A "Bowden Bowl" would be more appetizing than Miami and WVU...or am I missing something?

2. WS

WS Member

get excited for a Boise State-TCU Fiesta Bowl

3. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

That would suck for both teams. They play all year to get into the BCS and prove themselves against the Big Boys on a neutral field, only to have to play another great mid-major like themselves.

I would imagine that, when Boise State beat Oklahoma a couple of years ago, it was the greatest thrill of those players' athletic lives. Ditto for Utah when they beat Alabama last year. I don't imagine beating another mid-major, even if they're ranked in the top 5, will be nearly as memorable an event for those players.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Having seen this go down in the NCAAs, this is the power, stacking the deck.
    F that shit. Not acceptable.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

No. You know what's unacceptable? Boise acting like it's owed anything after playing a horseshit schedule, a schedule on which Nevada, Fresno State and Tulsa are vying to be the second-best win. You know what's unacceptable? Boise acting like it's owed anything because it won its opening game and the Fiesta Bowl three years ago.

Boise should be thankful for the opportunity to stand at midfield at halftime and have every fan in the stadium slap its players in the face in return for the BCS check.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

They beat everybody they played. Your crusade against Boise is moving into obsessionland.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

And they're gonna get the BCS bid they cried about deserving.

But now even that's not enough for the Boise sycophants. Now they somehow deserve a game against one of the 'big boys,' despite the sycophants' primary argument being that the 'big boys' aren't really that big after all.

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I think Boise will find out that TCU is a "Big Boy" team this year. TCU wins big.

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Boise was a "big boy" team before TCU got to be a "big boy" team that people followed.

Any more excuses to offer in the case against Boise?

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

TCU's played two BCS-conference opponents in three of the past four years.

The last time Boise did that was 2005. Not coincidentally, they started 0-2.

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

OK, here's my question.

All year long I've been told that Boise, or Utah, or BYU, or whatever mid-major flavor of the month comes up is "proven", that they "don't need to prove themselves because they beat the teams in front of them", that they're the equal of the teams around them in the polls and are every bit as worthy of a BCS bowl as anyone else.

So if TCU and Boise State match up in the Fiesta, what's the problem? I thought they were already proven? They're legitimate, so why is it so important they face a name team in a bowl? Unless you don't really believe they're as made as you've put out there all year.

I don't want to see TCU-Boise State because we saw that last year. I don't like rematches. But unless you don't really believe that they're lived up to the hype, what difference does it make who they play, so long as they're in a BCS bowl?

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Fixed

Draft saved Draft deleted