1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running bowl thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mystery Meat II, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The Gator Bowl would be insane not to pick FSU.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

There are probably several back-room deals, but I think it's the policy of those conferences who play a championship game that no offer can be officially extended or accepted until after Saturday's games.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, but there are rules involved about such things as win differential. The league would have to agree and it might catch some backlash from teams that finished a lot better than FSU. They went 6-fucking-6, right? If I'm an 8-4 bumped to ShitTown Bowl so Bobby can have a nice bye bye bowl, I'm pissed.

That said, I think it will happen.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Jesus. $20 mil each?? You'd think that could pay off a school or two with whom you have a game already scheduled. Damn shame that never happened. Would have been a hell of an atmosphere.

5. Moderator1

For that kind of money, it should have happened. But it isn't as easy as it sounds. Open dates matching, finding opponents for the teams you buy off, etc.

It would have cost him much more than that. He has buildings - press center, tower - in his infield. Take them out, put in field, take field back out, put buildings back in. But he's rich and nuts (in a good way) and wanted this game. Knowing him, he would have turned a profit. Game at night, shit going on all day, 160000 in the stands. He would have sold every available inch of space for sponsors.

I'll have to look up the story I did on it.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Some of Stewart Mandel's projections are interesting. Central Michigan vs. Notre Dame would be a hell of a match-up between LeFeveor and Claussen, no matter the records.
    I wish they let the guys who do the US Open pairings do the bowl match-ups.
    Oklahoma vs. Arizona (Stoops Bowl)
    Cincy - Georgia Tech (winner gets the ND job Bowl)
    Temple - Idaho (The Where ya been? Bowl)
    Penn State - Florida State (Loser walks away forever Bowl)

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

(Whoever plays Pitt) by 17.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I know I am the only one who cares about the International Bowl, but the projections I have seen have Rutgers against either Temple or Ohio. Can't wait 'til Jan. 2.

9. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I just noticed something after looking through bowl projections: The SEC plays the top non-BCS pick from four different conferences. SEC teams matchup against the #1 non-BCS picks from the ACC (Chick-Fil-A), Big XII (Cotton Bowl), Big Ten (Capital 1 Bowl), and Conference USA (Liberty Bowl). The SEC also matches up against the #2 non-BCS pick from the Big Ten in the Outback Bowl. The lineup only gets stronger as the SEC trades the Independence for Gator next year.

Apparently, the SEC Bowl lineup will be LSU in Cap 1, Ole Miss in Cotton, Auburn in Outback, Tennessee in C-F-A, Arkansas in Liberty, Kentucky in Music City, Georgia in Independence, and South Carolina in PapaJohns.com.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I thought part of the reason he was considering doing it (and part of the reason it fell through) was that he was renovating the infield anyway. The buildings were getting torn down and rebuilt. Thought that was also the reason the window to pull it all together was so small. There was only a couple weeks between the August race and when construction would start where the track would be available.

11. Moderator1

You are correct - I think at least one of the buildings, for sure. Bottom line is things needed to move quickly in a slow-moving world of college football scheduling. He needed answers quicker than they could be given.

They were coming out anyway but HIS window was smaller if the game was played, so it would have been an extra expense for the rush job.

I may be misremembering some of the details but they were along those lines.

It would have been one HELL of an event.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Fanhouse's John Walters writes that Notre Dame is likely to skip a bowl, although he sandbags the hell out of it in the lede:

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2009/12/03/notre-dame-unlikely-to-play-in-bowl/

Draft saved Draft deleted