1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running bowl thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mystery Meat II, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Looks like Virginia Tech and Tennessee in the Peach-Fil-A Bowl. That won't not draw.

And SMU is going to Hawaii. God bless 'em.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If Hawaii beats da Badgers this weekend the Mustangs will play the Rainbow Warriors on Dec. 24.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

That Tech-Tennessee game is one I can get behind as a Tech fan. Should be a blast.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Damn right. I've been looking forward to that matchup for a long time. Do New Year's in DC. We'll party!! :)

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Folks in Knoxville aren't so sure this is a done deal. UT could fall to Independence Bowl and be replaced by UGA in the used2BPeach.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. mb

mb Active Member

Weren't Tech and Tennessee talking about playing at the track in Bristol awhile back? Did they ever get anywhere with it?

7. JackReacher

Didn't UT already get the invite and accept? It's VT that's waiting, from what I hear.

8. JackReacher

Yes and no.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

If a bunch of things fall Tech's way, there's still a very outside shot of a BCS berth. I think that's what Tech is waiting for.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

No invitation has been confirmed and the fan base anxiously believes the Atlanta trip is falling apart.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Tech can't accept a bowl bid yet because they haven't been released by the BCS. They're in the top 14 in the BCS standings thus still eligible for a BCS slot. There's almost no chance they'll get one though.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Bruton Smith offered Tech AND Tennessee $20 million to play at the speedway. He was going to turn the infield into a field and make a big day out of it. And if anyone could do it, he could.
    There was a very small window to get it done, thanks to previously scheduled games and all that nonsense. It never worked out.
    He was as serious as a heart attack. He was going to give each school a check for 20 mil.

FSU to the Gator Bowl could be real interesting to watch, as it will mess with how things play out in the ACC's bowl structure. Wonder if it will happen?

Draft saved Draft deleted