1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Bowl Selection Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Dec 5, 2010.

1. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

It's a travesty! A team being the 7th pick out of the SEC instead of the 8th! What a screwjob.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Chick-fil-A Bowl.

Cows don't eat peaches.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Eat mor peechez!

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Chick-Fil-A is the lowest S. Carolina can fall, contractully speaking. And that's where they'll go after the Outback takes Florida to screw the pooch again.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The SEC only has a one-loss rule as it pertains to Capital One Bowl. Why couldn't South Carolina fall below the Chick?

6. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Meh. South Carolina was just in the Outback bowl a couple of seasons ago. I wouldn't really blame the Outback for wanting to take Florida. Also, South Carolina would end up playing a better team (Florida State) in the C-F-A bowl than in the Outback (Iowa, Penn State, Michigan)

7. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

It's not exactly a no-win situation for TCU, but at the same time, I'm thinking these things:
    1) A pro for TCU is easier access to the BCS. That's a given. It doesn't have to go 12-0 anymore. Now it can get to the BCS with 2, 3, even 4 losses.
    2) The con: If TCU qualifies consistently as the Big East qualifier, it damns the Big East because suck a "weak" program can win that conference all the time. But if TCU goes anything less than 11-1 or 10-2 every season, then TCU's program was a fraud all along as the product of playing against weaker competition in the MWC.

But if I were TCU, point 1 much, much outweighs point 2.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

If TCU goes less than 11-1 or 10-2 every season, then it will be a disappointment in that league. See: Miami. See: Ohio State and Michigan.

But they will be able to make their hay in bowl games. Wouldn't hurt to establish an in-state, out-of-conference rivalry with Texas or A&M the way Miami did with FSU.

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

The bowl staffs, mind you, are generally positive and helpful throughout gameweek.
    It's the higher-ups I'm talking about here ... the decision makers for the bowl games.

Money-grubbing, greedy, egocentric bowl organizers (save for a few that are positive people like Charlie Fiss at the Cotton Bowl) can choose who they want but here are the SEC Power Rankings at end of 2010 season:

1. Auburn
    2. (tie) Alabama/Arkansas
    4. (tie) South Carolina/LSU
    6. Mississippi State

7. Florida
    8. (tie) Georgia/Tennessee
    10. Kentucky
    11. Ole Miss
    12. Vanderbilt

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

SEC division champs are protected from falling no further than the CFA. Your complaint will be with the Outback and Gator if State gets dropped.

11. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Wait. You mean an event established for the sole purpose of making money wants to ensure it makes money?

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The SID at LSU sent this e-mail a few minutes ago. A sign there are still decisions being made, or just part of the embargo process to protect television network exclusive rights to announcements? I'm guessing the latter. Or maybe the smoke-filled room still awaits a bowl that's on the clock and waiting until the last minute to draft?

Media Alert
    The LSU bowl media opportunity and conference call scheduled for 5 p.m. today (Sunday, Dec. 5) has been postponed.

Due to BCS selection commitments, we have been notified by the league office that the following BCS and SEC bowls will not be able to have any public announcements of its selection until 8:30 p.m. ET (7:30 p.m. CT) this evening: All BCS Bowls, Capital One Bowl and AT&T Cotton Bowl.

I apologize for the inconvenience. We will email comments from Coach Miles, director of athletics and vice chancellor Joe Alleva and players once LSU’s bowl’s destination has been determined shortly after 7:30 p.m. this evening.

Again, there will be no media opportunity tonight – only the announcement from the bowl along with comments from Les Miles, Joe Alleva and players.

Please email me with any questions.

Draft saved Draft deleted