1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Bowl Selection Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Projected BCS invites

BCS; Auburn v. Oregon
    Rose; TCU v. Wisconsin
    Fiesta; Oklahoma v. UConn
    Orange; Va Tech v. Stanford
    Sugar; Arkansas v. Ohio St.

Doesn't the Fiesta have first pick over the Orange?

If it was me, I think I would much MUCH rather have a Oklahoma-Stanford matchup.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Love the Oregon / Auburn match.

After that oh well. Would love to see a Wisconsin / Stanford match- it would be a throw back to the old Ohio State / Michigan games.

U Conn is not even a top 25 team. What a joke. No one in the state even cares. No doubt Randy Edsel will be considered for every big job open which could leave U Conn with an interim coach by time game rolls around.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Of those five games, three, including the national "championship" game, interest me and offer entertaining matchups. Arkansas-Ohio State is a decent matchup that doesn't interest me. God help the poor announcers of whatever game UConn's in. Not that anyone will be watching, but it'll be a challenge to find material. Oklahoma might beat 'em by 50. Virginia Tech would only beat them by about 20.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2010/12/05/uconn-kicks-pie-into-face-of-bcs/

Sorry. Pimping one of our guys again but I love David Whitley's take on it.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

UConn going to one of these games is a joke and is example 1A of why the system needs to be blown up.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Orange picks before Fiesta. The "secondary" bowl at the BCS title game site ALWAYS gets the last pick, UNLESS it loses a national championship participant.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Is it any more of a testament than the fact that a team who lost to JAMES MADISON, who is I am assuming worse than Michigan, is also in one of these games?

Look, of all the stupid things people whine about, this is at the top of the list.

After the BCS national title game -- who gives a fuck about who plays in what bowl being as they are just meaningless exhibitions put on by idiots wearing stupid colored blazers and sponsored by companies who have nothing better to do with their money.

Is there really a difference between the Orange Bowl and the Music City Bowl? Really - who gives a rat's ass when only one game matters.

8. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

I really like four of these games. Big Televen champ vs. the Non-AQ team in the Rose / Suck it, Gordon Gee Bowl, Va. Tech riding 11 straight & Bud Foster's D vs. a great story / newbie in the BCS lineup with Stanford & Harbaugh, Tosu trying (AGAIN) to beat an SEC team in a big (hell...ANY...) bowl & a "blow up the scoreboard" Championship game.

Yep, U Conn sucks & doesn't belong. Having said that, the only reason to dislike the rest of that lineup (if that's what it ends of being), is blind hatred of the BCS system. Which I "get", I suppose. However, these are interesting, competitive match ups. Which (IMO) is what the bowls should be about.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Tremendous passage here:

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

As a Tech fan, I'm thrilled UConn won. The Orange would have taken WVU over Stanford, and while that game would have been interesting because it would have been a revival of the old Black Diamond Trophy game, I really wanted to see what Tech could do against a top-5 team like Stanford. I really hope that's the matchup.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

At least under the old system, though, even if the Rose Bowl didn't factor in the national championship picture, you had the Big Ten and Pac-10 defending their league's honor. Tradition created some context for the game that gave it some meaning. Same thing with some of the other old tie-ins that have been largely blown up because of the national title game. That's the tradeoff, I guess.

Honestly, the thing that irks me most at this point is that the Big East is not holding up its end of the bargain in this system, which is supposed to produce the best matchups. The Big East is standing in the way of that goal. I understand the limitation on conference teams in the BCS games, but it is a damned shame that LSU, Michigan State, Missouri, and Oklahoma State are on the outside looking in while these jokers get to play in the Fiesta Bowl. That's a travesty.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

UConn won its conference. Whaddya gonna do?

Draft saved Draft deleted