1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running bowl season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oz, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Turns out I was right!!!! The fucking guy in the booth DIDN'T know the rules!!!!

Simply unbelievable. Exactly what do you have to do to get qualified for a position like that?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/21/AR2007122102536.html

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

watching the papajohns.com bowl and the ref just said, 'time out, mississippi state' and got booed heavily. was amusing

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I hear the papajohns.com bowl was the last game for the Southern Miss coach. Did ESPN mention it at all during the game?

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Nice win for the Lobos over Nevada. Rocky Long is one of the good guys in FBC.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Huggy, Jeff Bower was pushed out (i.e. "resigned") several weeks ago by the AD. The AD seriously thinks that he could get a big name coach to walk into Hattiesburg.

All he got was Larry Fedora, an assistant from Arkansas. Bower has had a winning season for as long as he has been there and it wasn't enough for some of the idiots on campus.

SMU would be stupid (more stupid than Arkansas and USM) not to give this guy a call. They have to.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Sorry, D-3, must have forgot to add the blue font. I was unaware of Bower's situation before this game (seems to me he was getting royally screwed) but ESPN mentioned it incessantly.

7. D-3 Fan

No prob, Huggy. Bower was royally screwed for graduating his kids, making USM a good program, and winning games in C-USA.

The press conference a few weeks ago was uncomfortable to watch. Bower, indirectly, was making it clear that he was being pushed out for no good reason. Yes, his team finished 7-5 in four of the last six years, but who else in that poor man's Big East league was going to be better than the Eagles?

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Any chance of him landing another job?

9. D-3 Fan

No school has mentioned him because he's lost in the shuffle with the Richie Rod, Nutt, Petrino gluttony of "big name coaches" on some AD's wish list. He's not a hot or big name, but everyone knows who he is, since he's been a lifer down there.

I really hope someone nabs him.

10. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

So far, one of the color commentators on ESPN's coverage of the Las Vegas Bowl has said that a UCLA defensive player reminds him of Jason Taylor because he "speaks well" and then, no less than 5 minutes later, told a joke about Mormons coming to Las Vegas.

Personally, I'm rooting for the guy to take it a step further so I have a legitimate reason tomorrow to start a conversation by saying, "You know, I was watching the Las Vegas Bowl last night ..."

11. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

What? You're saying it's not funny that a bunch of Mormons have to come to LV for their bowl game? The commentator even had a classic quote from Lavell Edwards about their fans in LV and how funny it was. Additionally, the guy said more than "he speaks well" when comparing the UCLA player and Jason Taylor.

12. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Nessler said of UCLA's #44, "He played his guts out ... literally."

MOP !

Draft saved Draft deleted