1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Boston Marathon thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Apr 21, 2008.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I don't know where I finished the year I ran, but I now the figure was at least five digits.

2. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Did Armstrong really have his own finish line? Please spare me.

3. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

I am always amazed at the speed of the elite runners. 2 hours and 5 minutes is tough to comprehend, but consider this. Go to the track, run a 75 second lap then do another 100. That gets you a 2:10 marathon; not bad but you would be a mile behind the winner.

4. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

[​IMG]

Very, very inspirational. Dick Hoyt pushes his son.

5. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Couple of folks from the office here finished it.

I couldn't possibly be more impressed.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Anybody have a problem with the race being held on a Monday? Yes, it's a holiday in Massachusetts, but for most people in the private sector it's a workday and I guess it inconveniences many working people in and around Boston, with the road closures and all that.

7. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

How is it any different than when World Series games were played mid week during the day. Or when a city celebrates a team victory with a parade?

The joy of Boston is that it is held on a Monday, that you have to qualify, that there is tradition for the runners (almost like the Masters, though it has yielded to corporate sponsorship and the lure of big money). For those of you who have run marathons, you can appreciate that Boston is just special.

Dog8Cats likes this.
  8. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

To paraphrase Ron Burgundy: "It's kind of a big deal." A ton of people take the day off and drink all day and everyone else is able to manage for the one day. And it really only affects the commute in the morning with the 10 a.m. start this year.

9. KP

KP Active Member

It's not like they decided last week to hold the race on Monday last week. Plan ahead on the 3rd Monday in April and you'll make it to work just fine. Plus getting in town is a breeze with the roads pretty much empty because it is a holiday.

Parking for the Sox game is a little tougher if you don't know what's going on because a lot of the parking lots around the park are rented on a monthly basis during regular business hours.

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Well, all the crybabies were calling Reese Hopkins complaining about it today.

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I don't know how many years the race has been on a Monday, but having been at several Bostons, it's no big deal at all as far as interfering with the morning commute.

I second the sentiment of how difficult this is really is. I tip my hat to every single person who toed the starting line.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Mazel tov, Dick Whitman, on finishing your first Boston Marathon in under 4 hours!

You've wanted to conquer this course for so long and trained so hard and earned this moment.

Cheers, yo!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
Draft saved Draft deleted